Can sitting on your butt too much flatten it?

• Medical
  • Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
In summary: There are plenty of reasons to get out of that chair regularly. Sitting is one of the leading causes of death in developed countries. It's also linked to obesity, heart disease, and other health problems.
leroyjenkens
I think I have a pretty nice butt, but I also sit a lot. I don't want to flatten my butt. Is there any reason to worry?

Biology news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
I think I have a pretty nice butt, but I also sit a lot. I don't want to flatten my butt. Is there any reason to worry?

Haven't you seen all those flat-butted people walking around? That's where it comes from!

If you sleep on one side all the time, that side may become flatter, too.

Certainly casual observation would back up the claim.

The trick is to support these claims with peer-reviewed research.
A quick look shows me that researchers seem to emphasis=ze flattening of the lumbar region and scoliosis than flattened buttocks.

i.e. Corlett E. N. (2006) Background to sitting at work: research-based requirements for the design of work seats [Ergonomics; Volume 49, Issue 14, 2006]

Dunstan D. W. (2012) Too much sitting – A health hazard [Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice; Volume 97, Issue 3, September 2012, Pages 368–376]

While it seems the short answer is "yes" there is a risk of flattened buttocks from lots of sit-down time, it is not the principle concern ... basically nobody has anything nice to say about sitting for long periods of time.

You'll find lots of advise about when to get up or what kind of seat is best.
Some extremists say not to sit to work at all. AFAIK none of these ideas are evidence-based but it is common sense to get off your butt to save it.

From one of Simon Bridge's references:
... makes a persuasive case that too much sitting should now be considered an important stand-alone component ...
:biggrin:

Perhaps it should just be considered a solitary ergonomically sub-optimal postured component?

No there isn't and this isn't a medical topic.

1. Can sitting on your butt too much really flatten it?

Yes, sitting for extended periods of time can lead to flattening of the buttocks. This is because when you sit, the muscles in your buttocks are not being used and therefore, can become weaker and flatter over time.

2. How much sitting is considered too much?

It is recommended to limit sitting to no more than 8-10 hours a day. However, it is also important to take regular breaks and move around throughout the day to prevent flattening of the buttocks.

3. Can exercise help prevent flattening of the butt from sitting?

Yes, regular exercise can help strengthen and tone the muscles in your buttocks, preventing flattening. Incorporating exercises such as squats, lunges, and glute bridges into your routine can also help maintain a rounder and firmer butt.

4. Are there any health risks associated with sitting on your butt too much?

Yes, prolonged sitting can lead to a number of health issues such as muscle weakness, poor posture, weight gain, and increased risk of cardiovascular disease. It is important to maintain a balance between sitting and physical activity.

5. Can sitting on a cushion or using a standing desk prevent flattening of the butt?

While using a cushion or standing desk may provide temporary relief, they do not address the root cause of flattening of the butt. It is important to incorporate regular breaks and exercise into your daily routine to prevent flattening and promote overall health.