Heat insulators and conductors

In summary, the properties and parameters that govern heat conductivity of materials include the values of the element's conductivity coefficient and the Wiedemann-Franz Law. These determine how efficiently heat is transferred through a material. Electrons also play a role in transferring heat in metals.
Entanglement
What are the properties and the parameters that govern the heat conductivity of materials?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
ElmorshedyDr said:
What are the properties and the parameters that govern the heat conductivity of materials?

I googled Heat Conductivity of Materials, and got lots of good hits. Have a look at the Hyperphysics and Wikipedia pages, and let us know if you have specific questions about that information.

berkeman said:
I googled Heat Conductivity of Materials, and got lots of good hits. Have a look at the Hyperphysics and Wikipedia pages, and let us know if you have specific questions about that information.
It just gives information about the values of the element's conductivity coefficient
With no explanation of what make some elements have a high one while other don't,

besides I prefer your help since the internet is full of a variety of info with lots of different levels so it's kind of difficult to me to pull out suitable physics information from the internet.

Last edited:

What is the difference between heat insulators and conductors?

Heat insulators are materials that do not allow heat to pass through easily, while conductors are materials that allow heat to flow through them easily.

What are some examples of heat insulators and conductors?

Some examples of heat insulators include wood, rubber, wool, and plastic. Examples of heat conductors include metals like copper, silver, and aluminum.

How do heat insulators and conductors affect energy efficiency?

Heat insulators help to keep heat inside a space, making it more energy-efficient by reducing the need for external heating sources. Conductors, on the other hand, can increase energy consumption as they allow heat to escape or enter a space.

Can heat insulators be used as conductors and vice versa?

No, heat insulators and conductors have different properties that make them suitable for their respective purposes. It is not possible for one material to effectively act as both an insulator and a conductor.

How can the properties of heat insulators and conductors be measured?

The thermal conductivity and thermal resistance of a material can be measured to determine its ability to conduct or resist heat. These properties are typically measured in units of watts per meter-kelvin (W/m·K) for thermal conductivity and meters squared kelvin per watt (m2·K/W) for thermal resistance.