Calculus Solving logarithmic equations

In summary, the equation (log x)^2 + log x^5 - 27 = log x^4 - log x^7 can be simplified to (log x)^2 + 6 log x - 27 = 0. Solving for log x using the quadratic formula results in log x = 3 or log x = -9. This gives the solutions x = 10^3 or x = 10^-9. However, there may be a mistake since the problem asks for the solutions to be rounded to 2 decimal places. It is possible that the second term was meant to be log(x^3), in which case the solution would be correct. If it is log(x^5), the problem would
an_mui
If (log x)^2 + log x^3 - 27 = log x^4 - log x^7, solve for x to 2 decimal places

(log x)^2 + log x^5 - 27 = log x^4 - log x^7
(log x)^2 + 6 log x - 27 = 0
Let log x be a
a^2 + 6a - 27 = 0
(a + 9)(a - 3) = 0
a = 3 or - 9

log x = 3 or log x = -9
... x = 10^3 or 10^-9

Please help me because i am pretty sure this answer is wrong since the question asks us to solve x to 2 decimal places. however, i don't know what mistake i made so any help is appreciated! Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Simplify everything except for the first term and the constant to end up with something the resembles a quadratic equation. Instead of x, you will have something in terms of log(x). Now, use the quadratic formula to solve for log(x), and exponentiate.

Sorry i thought I did what you said above. I simplified everything except for the first term and the constant. However, I ended up with log x = 3 or log x = -9.

Oh, yes, sorry I was confused when you wrote log(x5). Yeah, what you did looks good; I wouldn't worry about the 2 decimal places.

an mui[/quote said:
This is incorrect: (log x)^2+ 5 log x- 27= 4 log x- 7 log x= -3 log x so
(log x)^2+ 8 log x- 27= 0

Your quadratic equation is a^2+ 8a- 27= 0 which does not have rational solutions.

HallsofIvy said:
This is incorrect: (log x)^2+ 5 log x- 27= 4 log x- 7 log x= -3 log x so
(log x)^2+ 8 log x- 27= 0
Your quadratic equation is a^2+ 8a- 27= 0 which does not have rational solutions.
I'm confused about your problem here. In your first line (of the OP), you said the second term was log(x3). The next line you say it is log(x5). Your solution is correct assuming it is x cubed. However, if it is x to the fifth you need to follow Halls' suggestion.

What is the basic concept of logarithms in calculus?

The concept of logarithms in calculus is a mathematical operation that is the inverse of exponentiation. This means that logarithms allow us to find the exponent of a given number that is raised to a specific power.

How do you solve logarithmic equations in calculus?

To solve logarithmic equations in calculus, we use the properties of logarithms, such as the product, quotient, and power properties, to simplify the equation and then use algebraic methods to isolate the variable. Finally, we use the definition of logarithms to convert the equation into exponential form and solve for the variable.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithmic equations in calculus?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithmic equations in calculus include forgetting to apply the properties of logarithms, taking the logarithm of a negative number, and not simplifying the equation after applying the properties of logarithms.

What are the applications of logarithms in calculus?

Logarithms have many applications in calculus, including in the study of exponential growth and decay, solving differential equations, and the creation of logarithmic scales in science and engineering.

How can I improve my skills in solving logarithmic equations in calculus?

To improve your skills in solving logarithmic equations in calculus, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the properties and rules of logarithms. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher and use online resources and practice problems to strengthen your understanding of the topic.