How are Cell Adhesion and Detachment Different?

In summary, the conversation is about the difference between cell adhesion and cell detachment, and how they are measured through different assays. The person asking the question is confused about the concept, specifically in an experiment where a protein affects detachment but not adhesion. They are looking for an explanation of how these two processes are distinct and why they require separate assays.
RPI_Quantum
Hello all,

I am reading some primary literature in which they talk about cell adhesion and cell detachment. They describe different assays for each. My question is, how are these two different? It seems that high detachment is the same as low adhesion, but according to the article, for a particular cell that is the product of RNAi on the parent, adhesion is the same as the parental cell, but detachment is much higher. I am confused about this, and I cannot find a simple answer anywhere. Can anyone help me out with a clarification?

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
No one can help me out here?

As far as I remember, detachment and adhesion are mediated by different factors/causes but some of these are common in both process. Have you tried to look for the factors/cause that initiate and mediate adhesion and detachment?

Well, yes. In this particular experiment, the expression of a particular protein affected the detachment properties of the cell expressing it. It did not affect the adhesion however.

I really am looking for the difference between the two, nothing with the factors that cause it. I just don't get why there are different assays for detachment and adhesion. I mean if there is a lot of detachment, doesn't that just mean that there was poor adhesion? I'm trying to find out how these are different properties that need to be looked at separately.

Can you give us the reference so we can take a look at what is driving your question?

1. What is cell adhesion and detachment?

Cell adhesion is the process by which cells attach to each other or to a surface, while cell detachment is the process by which cells detach from each other or a surface. These processes are essential for various biological functions, such as cell migration, tissue formation, and wound healing.

2. How do cells adhere to each other or to a surface?

Cells use specialized structures called adhesion molecules to attach to each other or to a surface. These molecules, such as integrins and cadherins, form strong bonds between cells or between cells and the extracellular matrix.

3. What are the factors that regulate cell adhesion and detachment?

There are several factors that can influence cell adhesion and detachment, including the type and density of adhesion molecules, the chemical and physical properties of the surface, and the presence of signaling molecules or mechanical forces.

4. Why is cell adhesion and detachment important in disease?

Abnormalities in cell adhesion and detachment have been linked to various diseases, including cancer, autoimmune disorders, and cardiovascular diseases. For example, changes in adhesion molecules can contribute to tumor metastasis, and defects in cell detachment can lead to autoimmune reactions.

5. How is cell adhesion and detachment studied in the laboratory?

Cell adhesion and detachment can be studied using various techniques, such as cell culture assays, microscopy, and biochemical assays. These methods allow scientists to manipulate the factors that regulate cell adhesion and detachment and observe their effects on cell behavior.