Shopping around for my health insurance

In summary, the conversation is about shopping for health insurance and getting opinions from others on which companies to avoid and which ones have been good. The use of Google to research companies is suggested, as well as considering employer or school plans and group rates. The topic of online insurance and its effectiveness is also brought up.
RaferLivingston
We are shopping around for my health insurance and I'm hoping I can get opinions from everybody here about which ones to avoid and which ones you have had a good experience with.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
A good start is to find a bunch of company names and google search for "<name> sucks" or something similar (try it with swears as well). Doing that convinced me not to buy a hybrid car :wink:

Sorry I don't know anything about specific companies; I'm in Canada where it doesn't really apply as much.

in the states health insurance companies seem to vary a lot from state to state. Where are you?

I am no expert, but also look at your employer, as I think there are usually employee plans. Also, if you are in school, look at your school's health plans.

mattmns said:
I am no expert, but also look at your employer, as I think there are usually employee plans. Also, if you are in school, look at your school's health plans.
Also ask each company about group rates. Things like graduating from a certain university can get you a good deal on insurance in some cases; I know it's true for car insurance.

Im from Minnesota
I have been surfing the net for good insurance, i came into http://www.insurancepaylite.com has anyone tried online insurance? how effective is the online quote system? can i depend my money on these?

thanks.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the process of "shopping around" for health insurance?

Shopping around for health insurance involves researching and comparing different health insurance plans and providers to find the best coverage and price for your specific needs. This can include gathering information on premiums, deductibles, coverage options, and provider networks.

Why is it important to shop around for health insurance?

Shopping around for health insurance allows you to find the best coverage and price for your individual needs. It can also help you evaluate the quality of coverage and customer service offered by different providers. Additionally, it can save you money by ensuring you are not overpaying for coverage.

What factors should I consider when shopping for health insurance?

When shopping for health insurance, it is important to consider factors such as premiums, deductibles, coverage options, provider networks, and out-of-pocket costs. You should also consider your current health needs and any potential future health needs when choosing a plan.

How can I compare different health insurance plans?

You can compare different health insurance plans by researching and comparing their premiums, deductibles, coverage options, provider networks, and out-of-pocket costs. You can also use online comparison tools or consult with a licensed insurance agent for assistance.

Can I change my health insurance plan after I have already enrolled?

In most cases, you can only change your health insurance plan during the annual open enrollment period or if you experience a qualifying life event, such as getting married or losing your job. However, it is important to check with your insurance provider for specific guidelines and options for changing your plan.