Spivak calculus on manifolds solutions? (someone asked this b4 and got ignored)

In summary, Spivak's calculus on manifolds is a difficult subject to learn on your own, and a solution manual would be helpful.
precondition
Does anyone know if there's worked out solution to the problems in spivak's calculus on manifolds? It's awfully easy to get stuck in the problems and for some of them I don't even know where to start...
Also, if there isn't any, any good problem and 'SOLUTION' source for analysis on manifolds in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've come to realize over time that it is better not to have a solutions manual.

How did you come to that realization?

When you get totally stuck, it's better IMO to have a solution you can learn from than to just forget about it. Also, the solution might better than or just different from your own, and you can learn from that also.

Solution manuals are worthwhile because more often that not, the question wasn't asked properly.

Likes yucheng
ObsessiveMathsFreak said:
Solution manuals are worthwhile because more often that not, the question wasn't asked properly.

A rather interesting and untestable generalization. I would say that Spivak's book certainly does not fall under this category, since several generations of future mathematicians have been taught from it already.

I too know of no solution manual for it. I would say though that, unless you are Ramanujan, it is rather difficult to learn this level of mathematics on your own. The ideal situation is to take a course in it. Nothing beats having an actual instructor to discuss these things with and have different perspectives of it shown to you. If that's not possible, then the next best situation is to form a study group. This is a very challenging book for many people and it really helps to learn it with other people.

anyone at the level of spivaks book is harmed more than helped by a solutions manual. i.e. if you need a solutions manual, you aren't getting spivak.

so the most useful answer is to advise the asker to go back to work trying to grasp the subject and work the problems himself.

this was essentially mruncleamos's answer.

a beginning grad student should be able to read this book and do most of these problems.

I am doing an undergraduate analysis course that uses this textbook. I found this link from some University of Kentucky course website:

http://www.ms.uky.edu/~ken/ma570/

There are complete solutions (I think) to all of Spivak's book here, but I personally wouldn't have tackled the problems the way its often done here, at least in chapter 1 and chapter 2 which I have had the chance to look at so far.

Likes yucheng

1. What is Spivak calculus on manifolds?

Spivak calculus on manifolds, also known as differential geometry, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of curves, surfaces, and other higher-dimensional objects called manifolds. It combines concepts from calculus and linear algebra to understand the geometric properties of these objects.

2. Why is Spivak calculus on manifolds important?

Spivak calculus on manifolds is important because it has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It provides a framework for understanding the geometry of the physical world and plays a crucial role in the development of advanced mathematical theories.

3. What are some key concepts in Spivak calculus on manifolds?

Some key concepts in Spivak calculus on manifolds include smooth manifolds, tangent spaces, vector fields, differential forms, and integration on manifolds. These concepts help us describe and analyze the properties of curves, surfaces, and other higher-dimensional objects.

4. What are some common problems encountered in studying Spivak calculus on manifolds?

Some common problems encountered in studying Spivak calculus on manifolds include understanding the abstract concepts, visualizing higher-dimensional objects, and applying the techniques to solve real-world problems. It requires a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra, as well as practice and perseverance.

5. Are there any resources available for learning Spivak calculus on manifolds?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning Spivak calculus on manifolds, including textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. Some popular textbooks include "Calculus on Manifolds" by Michael Spivak, "A Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry" by Michael Spivak, and "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds" by John M. Lee.