Overcoming Roadblocks in Trigonometric Identity Proofs

In summary, the conversation is about proving the identity \frac{tanx+1}{tanx-1}=\frac{secx+cscx}{secx-cscx}. The person is working on the right side and trying to get it into the same form as the left side. They reach \frac{1+2sinxcosx}{sin^{2}x-cos^{2}x} and consider using the identities sin2x=2sinxcosx and cos^2x-sin^2x=cos2x. However, they realize that this does not lead to the desired form. Another person suggests multiplying by sin x, which immediately gives the desired result. The original person is amazed by
Checkfate
Hi,

I am trying to prove [tex]\frac{tanx+1}{tanx-1}=\frac{secx+cscx}{secx-cscx}[/tex]

I am working on the right side and trying to get it to the same form as the left side.

I get to [tex]\frac{1+2sinxcosx}{sin^{2}x-cos^{2}x}[/tex] which I COULD apply the fact that sin2x=2sinxcosx as well as cos^2x-sin^2x=cos2x (after multiplying both top and bottom by -1) but that gets me to

[tex]\frac{-Sin(2x)-1}{cos(2x)}[/tex] which looks completely useless!

Anyone see something I don't? Just point me in the right direction :) Thanks again :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
oh my god why didn't I see that! lol. I was looking at that step ( I had the exact same work shown) and thought that was an important step, but dividing by cos x just never popped into my head, lol. Anyways, thanks a ton :).

Actually, starting from
[tex]\frac{tanx+1}{tanx-1}=\frac{secx+cscx}{secx-cscx}[/tex]
and multiplying the numerator and denominator of the right side by sin x gives the result immediately.

lol, how do you see this stuff? I don't even start thinking about solving it until at least the 3rd step. Maybe I answered my own question here... lol :)

Thanks to both of you, I am going to start looking for a way to immediately put it into the desired form at EVERY step from now on.

Last edited:

1. What is a roadblock in trigonometric identities?

A roadblock in trigonometric identities refers to a point where the student gets stuck or faces difficulty in solving a trigonometric identity problem. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept, difficulty in applying the correct trigonometric formulas, or confusion in manipulating the equations.

2. How can I overcome a roadblock in trigonometric identities?

To overcome a roadblock in trigonometric identities, it is essential to have a strong understanding of the basic trigonometric concepts and formulas. Practicing regularly and solving a variety of problems can also help in identifying any areas of weakness and improving them. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in overcoming a roadblock.

3. What are some common mistakes that lead to a roadblock in trigonometric identities?

Some common mistakes that can lead to a roadblock in trigonometric identities include using incorrect formulas, making errors in algebraic manipulations, and not identifying the correct trigonometric relationships. It is important to pay attention to details and double-check the calculations to avoid such mistakes.

4. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometric identities?

To improve your understanding of trigonometric identities, it is important to have a solid foundation in the basic trigonometric concepts. Reading and studying from reliable sources, practicing regularly, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also help in improving understanding. It is also beneficial to break down complex identities into smaller, more manageable steps.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving trigonometric identities?

Some tips for solving trigonometric identities include identifying common trigonometric relationships, using unit circle values, and converting all trigonometric functions to either sine or cosine. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and label angles to visualize the problem better. Additionally, practicing regularly and seeking help when needed can also aid in solving trigonometric identities more efficiently.