Proving |2^{A}| = 2^|A| Using Mathematical Induction - Step By Step Guide

• Thread starter bigrodey77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Sets
In summary: The answer is k+1+k+1, for a total of 4k+1 subsets. So the hypothesis says |P(B)\cap {x}|= 2^k.So if you can show the following,1. P(B)\cap {x}= P(B)\cap {x} U C\cup {x},2. P(B)\cap {x} U C\cup {x} U A,3. |A|= 2^k,you'll be home.Of course, induction isn't the only approach. You might think about a proof based on characteristic maps.2A means, of course, the
bigrodey77
Hey all,

As I said in one of my earlier posts I'm not that good with proofs, hence why I have another post.

Here is the one I'm on now...

Prove using mathematical induction that |2[tex]^{A}[/tex]| = 2[tex]^{|A|}[/tex] where A is a finite set.

..Here is what I have so far

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1944/proofdu9.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
bigrodey77 said:
Hey all,

As I said in one of my earlier posts I'm not that good with proofs, hence why I have another post.

Here is the one I'm on now...

Prove using mathematical induction that |2[tex]^{A}[/tex]| = 2[tex]^{|A|}[/tex] where A is a finite set.

..Here is what I have so far

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1944/proofdu9.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You might look at a proof this way.

Let's let |S| = n and S' = S U {a} (where a is not in S). Clearly, |S'| = n+1.
Let P(S) and P(S') denote their powersets.
Let A = {B U {a} | B is in P(S)}.

In the induction step, the induction hypothesis says |P(S)| = 2^n.
So if you can show the following

1. P(S') = P(S) U A,
2. P(S) and A are disjoint,
3. |A| = 2^n,

you'll be home.

Of course, induction isn't the only approach.
You might think about a proof based on characteristic maps.

2A means, of course, the collection of all subsets of A. |A| is the number of elements in A and |2A| is the number of elements in 2A, i.e. the number of subsets of A. And, of course, we are assuming A is a finite set.

Assume, as you did in the induction, that |2A|= 2|A| for all sets with k members: |A|= k. Now let B be a set with k+1 members: |B|= k+1. Let x be a specific member of B (since |B|= k+1> 0, there exist such a member). Every subset of B either includes x or it does not. Those subsets that do not include x are subsets of B\{x} which has k members. How many of them are there? Those subsets that do include x can be thought of as [itex]C\cup {x}[/itex] where C is a subset of B that does not include x. How of them are there? How many subsets does B have?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of using sets in scientific research?

Sets help to organize and categorize data in a logical and efficient manner. This allows scientists to analyze and interpret data more effectively.

2. How do sets improve the reliability of scientific evidence?

Sets help to eliminate bias and errors by organizing data into distinct groups and allowing for comparisons to be made. This ensures that findings are based on consistent and accurate data.

3. Can sets be used in all areas of scientific research?

Yes, sets can be applied to a wide range of scientific disciplines, including biology, chemistry, physics, and social sciences. They are a fundamental tool for organizing and analyzing data in any research field.

4. Are there any potential limitations to using sets in scientific research?

One limitation of using sets is that they may oversimplify complex data sets, leading to oversights or missing important details. Additionally, the accuracy of the data entered into a set can also impact the reliability of the results.

5. How can scientists effectively use sets to support their research?

To effectively use sets, scientists should carefully select and categorize the data they want to analyze. They should also ensure that the data is accurate and unbiased. By using sets in a systematic and organized way, scientists can draw more meaningful and reliable conclusions from their research.