Interval Notation: f(x) > 36 for x < 21

In summary, interval notation is a way to represent a range of numbers using brackets and parentheses, commonly used in mathematics and science. This notation indicates that the function f(x) has a value that is greater than 36. The inequality symbol < represents "less than" and indicates that the value of x must be less than 21. Interval notation can be graphed on a number line, with the interval shown as a shaded region. It is read as "x is less than 21" or "the interval of x is less than 21". The full notation would be read as "f(x) is greater than 36 for x that is less than 21".
shoook
I am working with a linear line with positive slope, the points are given.

1. In interval notation write for which values f(x) > 36

2. At f(x)=36 x=21

3. I think it should look like (-inf,21)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not (21,inf)? It has POSITIVE slope.

I thought it should be -inf because it asks for all values below 21, not above... what do you think?

Looks to me like it's asking for where f(x)>36. Draw a line with positive slope and having f(21)=36.

1. What is interval notation?

Interval notation is a way to represent a range of numbers using brackets and parentheses. It is commonly used in mathematics and science to express inequalities and intervals on a number line.

2. What does f(x) > 36 mean?

This notation indicates that the function f(x) has a value that is greater than 36. In other words, any value of x that is plugged into the function will result in a number greater than 36.

3. What does the inequality symbol < represent?

The inequality symbol < represents "less than". In the given interval notation, it indicates that the value of x must be less than 21.

4. Can you graph interval notation?

Yes, interval notation can be graphed on a number line. In this case, the interval would be shown as a shaded region to the left of the number 21, since x must be less than 21 for the inequality to be true.

5. How do you read interval notation?

Interval notation is read as "x is less than 21" or "the interval of x is less than 21". In this case, the full notation would be read as "f(x) is greater than 36 for x that is less than 21".