Max Velocity for Banked Road Problem

• Thread starter jrmed13
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum velocity of a car driving on a banked, frictionless, circular track at an angle of 31 degrees. To find the velocity, you must first calculate the centripetal acceleration using the equation (mv^2)/r = nsin(theta). Then, you can solve for the normal force, n, by using the equation ncos(theta) = mg. However, this may cause confusion as to why n cannot be equal to mgcos(theta). This is because the component of acceleration into the road is not zero, as seen in the equation N - mgcos(theta) = ma. This is due to the presence of centripetal acceleration. The car does not move into or out
jrmed13
Okay, so I am doing a problem involving a car driving on a banked, frictionless, circular track (theta=31degrees) and i am supposed to find the maximum velocity that the car can drive. I know that to find the velocity, i have to find the centripetal acceleration by saying that (mv^2)/r = nsin(theta). Then, I have to solve for n by saying that ncos(theta)=mg. However, I am confused... why can't n=mgcos(theta)? My understanding is that two forces are equal in magnitude if the object doesn't move in either direction. The car doesn't move into the road or out of the road... or does it?? please help! I have a test on monday.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is true that the car doesn't move into the road or out of the road. However, the component of acceleration into the road is not 0.

In other words... suppose you take the [tex]\Sigma{F} = ma[/tex] equation perpendicular to the road. N - mgcos(theta) = ma... here a is not 0! this occurs because of the centripetal acceleration.

Hello, thank you for sharing your problem with me. I can provide some clarification on your question.

Firstly, your understanding is correct that in order for an object to remain in equilibrium, the forces acting on it must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. In this case, the two forces acting on the car are its weight (mg) and the normal force (n) from the banked road.

However, in this specific scenario, the normal force is not acting directly opposite to the weight. This is because the road is banked at an angle (theta) and the normal force is acting perpendicular to the road's surface. Therefore, you cannot simply use the equation n=mgcos(theta) to find the normal force.

Instead, you need to consider the components of the weight force and the normal force that are acting in the direction of the car's motion. These components can be found using trigonometry, and the equation you mentioned, (mv^2)/r = nsin(theta), takes into account these components.

To summarize, the normal force is not equal to mgcos(theta) because it is not acting directly opposite to the weight. I hope this helps you understand the problem better and good luck on your test!

What is the Max Velocity for Banked Road Problem?

The Max Velocity for Banked Road Problem is a physics problem that involves determining the maximum speed at which a vehicle can travel on a banked curve without slipping. It takes into account the angle of the bank, the radius of the curve, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road.

What factors affect the Max Velocity for Banked Road Problem?

The Max Velocity for Banked Road Problem is affected by several factors, including the angle of the bank, the radius of the curve, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road. Other factors such as the weight of the vehicle and the speed at which it enters the curve can also impact the maximum velocity.

How is the Max Velocity for Banked Road Problem calculated?

The Max Velocity for Banked Road Problem is calculated using the formula v = √(rgtanθ), where v is the maximum velocity, r is the radius of the curve, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the bank.

What happens if the Max Velocity for Banked Road Problem is exceeded?

If the maximum velocity for a banked road is exceeded, the vehicle will likely start to slip or slide on the road. This can result in loss of control and potentially lead to a crash. It is important for drivers to stay within the calculated maximum velocity to ensure safe navigation of banked curves.

How can the Max Velocity for Banked Road Problem be increased?

The Max Velocity for Banked Road Problem can be increased by increasing the angle of the bank or decreasing the radius of the curve. These changes will result in a greater centripetal force and allow for a higher maximum velocity. However, it is important to keep in mind that there are limits to how much the angle and radius can be adjusted before the road becomes unsafe for vehicles to travel on.