Determine distance traveled up an incline w/ friction

In summary, a 20 kg box with an initial speed of 3.0 m/s moves up a 19.0° inclined track with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.20. To determine how far it moves, you can use the equations F=ma and Ff=uFn, where n=63.8N. You will also need to draw a force diagram and take into account the friction force, which causes the box to decelerate.
Cbookman

Homework Statement

a box given an initial speed of 3.0 m/s up a 19.0° inclined track. The mass of the box is 20 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between sled and incline is 0.20. How far up the incline does the box move?

Homework Equations

F=ma, n=63.8N, mukN=12.76

The Attempt at a Solution

what do i use to find the forward force, and then determine how far it travels?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a force diagram? Ff=uFn, Fn is a component of weight. Is there an answer to compare to?

i drew the diagram. no answer to compare to, it's on webassign. do i have to determine the acceleration in the opposite direction based on the friction force?

Yes. There is friction force and it cause it to decelerate. Ff=ma, try that.

do i use the actual mass times the friction force, or the normal force?

Come again?

Why in the world would you multiply mass times force at all? Force is "kg m/s2". Mass times force would be "kg2 m/s2" and I don't know any quantity that has those units.

i understand that, i misspoke. i wanted to know what mass to use, either the given mass, or a component of it to determine the acceleration.

Mass is mass. There is no component of mass, just component of weight.

1. How do you calculate the distance traveled up an incline with friction?

To determine the distance traveled up an incline with friction, you can use the formula: d = (v^2 - u^2) / 2a, where d is the distance traveled, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration due to the incline's angle and the friction force.

2. What factors affect the distance traveled up an incline with friction?

The distance traveled up an incline with friction is affected by the angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction between the object and the incline, the mass of the object, and the initial velocity of the object.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the distance traveled?

The angle of the incline affects the distance traveled because it determines the amount of work done against gravity. The steeper the incline, the more work is required to move the object, resulting in a shorter distance traveled.

4. What is the significance of the coefficient of friction in determining the distance traveled?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. In the case of an object moving up an incline, the coefficient of friction determines the amount of force needed to overcome the friction and the distance the object will travel.

5. How does the mass of the object impact the distance traveled up an incline with friction?

The mass of the object affects the distance traveled because it determines the amount of force needed to move the object against the force of gravity. A heavier object will require more force to move up the incline, resulting in a shorter distance traveled.