Center and Radius of Circles with Given Equations

• Thread starter cheab14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, to find the center and radius of each circle with the given equations, you can use the equation (x-p)^2+(y-q)^2=r^2 and complete the square to identify the center and radius. For (a), after dividing both sides by 3, the equation is already in the correct form and the center would be at (0,0) with a radius of 3√3. For (b), completing the square would give the equation (x-0)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 9, so the center is at (0,3) with a radius of 3.
cheab14
The question states:
Find the centre and radius of each circle with equations as given
(a) 3x^2 + 3y^2 = 81
(b) x^2 = 6y - y^2

I really don't know how to approach this question, i started (a) by dividing both sides by 3 but then i don't know where to go from there, and i don't even know how to do (b)...please help me:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you know that a circle with centre (p,q) and radius r can be written (x-p)2+(y-q)2=r2.

(a) once you've divided through by 3, it is in the above form, isn't it?
(b) try to put it in the above form by, maybe, completing the square for the y component.

ok but cristo, for (a) you're saying that my centre would just be p and q?..no actual numbers?...and for (b) my radius would be 9? -also for (b) what would be my centre after completing the square for the y component?

a) P and Q are dummy variables. In your first problem: 3x^2 + 3y^2 = 81 you could think of this as 3(x-0)^2 + 3(y-0)^2 = 81

b) Remember the equation is (x-p)^2+(y-q)^2=r^2, make sure you're accounting for the radius^2.

The center is straight forward once you have completed the square.

...thank u guys

1. What is the formula for finding the centre and radius of a circle?

The formula for finding the centre and radius of a circle is (h,k) for the centre and r for the radius, where h and k are the x and y coordinates of the centre, and r is the distance from the centre to any point on the circle.

2. How do you find the centre and radius of a circle given its equation?

To find the centre and radius of a circle given its equation, first rewrite the equation in the standard form (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2. Then, the values of h and k will be the coordinates of the centre, and the square root of r^2 will be the radius.

3. Can you find the centre and radius of a circle if only given three points on the circle?

Yes, it is possible to find the centre and radius of a circle if given three points on the circle. This can be done by finding the perpendicular bisectors of the chords formed by the three points, and the intersection of these perpendicular bisectors will be the centre. The distance from the centre to any of the three points will be the radius.

4. How does finding the centre and radius of a circle relate to the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the radius of a circle if the coordinates of the centre and one point on the circle are known. This is because the radius of a circle is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the centre, a point on the circle, and the x or y axis.

5. What is the significance of finding the centre and radius of a circle in geometry and real life applications?

Finding the centre and radius of a circle is important in geometry as it helps to define the shape, size, and location of a circle. In real life applications, it is used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and astronomy to accurately determine the dimensions and positions of circular objects and structures.