How Can I Determine Where the Pulses Will Meet on a Stretched Wire?

• Thread starter dj_werd
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wire with a length of 10.3 m and a mass of 97.8 g that is stretched under tension. The question is where two pulses, generated at each end of the wire and separated by 29.6 ms, will meet. The formula for wave speed on a stretched wire is mentioned and it is determined that the pulses will meet 7.54 m from the end at which the first pulse started.
dj_werd
I'm having a hard time with this problem, and was wondering if somebody can help
A wire 10.3 m long have a mass of 97.8 g is stretched under tension of 248N. If two pulses, separated in time by 29.6 ms, are generated on at each end of the wire, where will the pulses meet?

Plz e-mail if anybody has a way to do this problem
dj_werd@hotmail.com

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless this is a course in partial differential equations, you were probably given a formula for wave speed on a stretched wire: if I remember correctly it is
[tex]c= \sqrt{(\frac{T}{\rho})} [/tex]
where T is the tension and ρ is the linear density of the wire (mass divided by length). Once you know the wave speed, it should be easy to determine where the pulses meet.

I get a wave speed of 161.6 m/s and that the two pulses meet 7.54 m from the end at which the first pulse started.

Okay so I understand how to get the wave speed, but I am not really sure how you found the distance on where the pulses will meet.

I can suggest using the formula v = √(T/μ) to determine the velocity of the pulses traveling through the wire, where T is the tension and μ is the linear mass density of the wire (mass per unit length). Once you have calculated the velocity, you can use the equation x = vt to determine the distance traveled by the pulses in 29.6 ms. This will give you the position of the pulses at that specific time. However, since the wire is 10.3 m long, it is possible that the pulses will meet somewhere in the middle. Further calculations or measurements would be needed to determine the exact meeting point. I hope this helps.

1. Where will the pulses meet?

The exact location where pulses will meet depends on a variety of factors, including the medium through which they are traveling and the initial conditions of the pulses. In general, pulses will meet where their amplitudes add together to create a maximum or minimum value.

2. How do you determine where the pulses will meet?

To determine where pulses will meet, you can use mathematical equations such as the superposition principle or the principle of interference. These equations take into account the properties of the pulses and the medium they are traveling through to determine their meeting point.

3. Can pulses meet at more than one point?

Yes, pulses can meet at more than one point depending on the properties of the medium and the initial conditions of the pulses. For example, if two pulses are traveling in opposite directions, they can meet at multiple points due to the phenomenon of interference.

4. What happens when pulses meet?

When pulses meet, they can either constructively or destructively interfere with each other. Constructive interference occurs when the amplitudes of the pulses add together, resulting in a larger amplitude pulse. Destructive interference occurs when the amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller amplitude pulse or no pulse at all.

5. How does the shape of the medium affect where pulses meet?

The shape of the medium can affect where pulses meet by influencing the speed and direction of the pulses. For example, if the medium is curved, the pulses may bend towards or away from each other, changing their meeting point. Additionally, the shape of the medium can affect the reflection and refraction of the pulses, which can also alter their meeting location.