Is Laparoscopic Fundoplication the Solution to Your Acid Reflux Woes?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Evo's stomach got stuck in her esophagus and she is having surgery to remove it. She is hopeful that the surgery will fix her GERD issue and she will be able to return to her normal lifestyle soon.
Tsu said:
So, is tomorrow the day? If so, we need to start your pre-surgery party! I'm thinking we need to present things that you are going to able to eat and drink when you're all healed up. If we start showing pictures of what you can eat right now, it's going to be a freakin BORING PARTY! :biggrin:
Brings a bunch of grapes to the party...everyone can have ONE grape. :biggrin:

Did you tell your doc about your clotting problems?
This is one they seriously need to know about. You don't want to have post-op bleeding for 3 days. If they know ahead that there's a potential clotting problem, they can check it and give you platelets or other clotting factors if necessary. Maybe we just need to hook up Tsu and Evo together since Evo needs more clotting factors, and Tsu needs less. :biggrin:

Biology news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Brings a bunch of grapes to the party...everyone can have ONE grape. :biggrin:
The Evo Child wants to take me out tomorrow night for my last meal.

This is one they seriously need to know about. You don't want to have post-op bleeding for 3 days. If they know ahead that there's a potential clotting problem, they can check it and give you platelets or other clotting factors if necessary. Maybe we just need to hook up Tsu and Evo together since Evo needs more clotting factors, and Tsu needs less. :biggrin:
I had a long talk with the pre-op nurse and she was concerned about several things, the blood clotting, my swollen left leg, the low potassium. They will be doing a complete blood work up before surgery. They are also getting the doppler tests on my legs to make sure they didn't miss a clot.

I won't be able to eat for a day after the surgery and I can't eat anything solid for at least a month, so the Evo Child and I went shopping for baby food, applesauce, soups, mashed potatoes. I won't be able to stand to cook, and she doesn't cook, so it has to all be pre-made. Also no carbonated drinks for a month. :frown: So I bought some Arizona green iced tea.

Moonbear, if you're interested, it's a Nissen Fudoplication, with hernia repair and dilation of my esophagus. I already have stricture from scar tissue causing dysphagia, and this surgery can cause dysphagia. :-( I need to remind the surgeon that he REALLY needs to inflate my esophagus during this surgery or I won't be able to swallow anything.

Luckily, I should have a private room at the hospital. I bought a hospital suitable nightgown, which the Evo Child thought was hysterical, she called it my "downhome prairie gown". :grumpy:

So I should be in a fairly bad mood for the next month or two years. Evo Child will be staying with me. I will be out on disablity for a minimum of 4 weeks. I was told that even getting in or out of a car will be difficult. I cannot believe it can be that bad. I will be hauling heavy loads and ripping my stitches out the next day, I just know it.

Thanks everyone for all of the kind words. It means a lot to me. :smile:

All the best, Evo - I'll be thinking of you!

Do you have netflix, or someone to bring you DVDs to watch?

Does Ricco know how to fetch things for you?

Evo said:
Moonbear, if you're interested, it's a Nissen Fudoplication, with hernia repair and dilation of my esophagus.

I was wondering if those would be done, too.

So I should be in a fairly bad mood for the next month or two years. Evo Child will be staying with me. I will be out on disablity for a minimum of 4 weeks. I was told that even getting in or out of a car will be difficult. I cannot believe it can be that bad. I will be hauling heavy loads and ripping my stitches out the next day, I just know it.

If you do heavy hauling and rip your stitches, you'd better cover yer ASS because that'll be ME rippin' you a new one! :rofl:

Please take care, Sis. Let us know what we can do. Would you like some special desserts after your 'last meal' tomorrow? I'll see what I can find. :wink:

Evo said:

What kind words? We just want you back fast so that we can make fun of you whenever you do one of those Evo things :wink:

Speaking of which... You would have been proud of me yesterday. I was getting into my car and hit dashboard so strong with my knee that I am limping now. I promised my car that if it will happen again I'll start to call it Christine (without ~~).

Evo said:
The Evo Child wants to take me out tomorrow night for my last meal.
:rofl:

I had a long talk with the pre-op nurse and she was concerned about several things, the blood clotting, my swollen left leg, the low potassium. They will be doing a complete blood work up before surgery. They are also getting the doppler tests on my legs to make sure they didn't miss a clot.
Good, glad to hear they're being extra careful to avoid complications.

I won't be able to eat for a day after the surgery and I can't eat anything solid for at least a month, so the Evo Child and I went shopping for baby food, applesauce, soups, mashed potatoes. I won't be able to stand to cook, and she doesn't cook, so it has to all be pre-made. Also no carbonated drinks for a month. :frown: So I bought some Arizona green iced tea.
*Envisions Evo with a jar of babyfood* :rofl: That's going to be a tough recovery on that diet. Maybe we should temporarily delete the food thread so you don't have to look at it.

Moonbear, if you're interested, it's a Nissen Fudoplication, with hernia repair and dilation of my esophagus. I already have stricture from scar tissue causing dysphagia, and this surgery can cause dysphagia. :-( I need to remind the surgeon that he REALLY needs to inflate my esophagus during this surgery or I won't be able to swallow anything.
You really are a mess! We'll just push you and Tsu in your wheelchairs up to a table and let you play cards for the next month.

Be really careful with that. It's so easy to think you're feeling better and overdo it. Our lab tech had gallbladder removal surgery not that long ago, and will now be going back for a hernia repair because he didn't listen and lifted too much before he was supposed to (all our yelling at him not to do it didn't help, and we've all but tackled him to get between him and heavy lifting to keep him from doing more damage...being stubborn will only prolong the recovery, not help).

Enjoy your "last meal" and try to get some sleep tonight...I know it'll be tough, but you're not going to get much while being poked by nurses every few hours in the hospital either. Hopefully when the ordeal is over, you'll finally have more restful sleep without waking up choking on your own vomit.

Take it easy, Evo! I wish I could email you some garlic-scape pesto and penne pasta for your "last meal". Let your incisions heal well before doing anything even remotely strenuous. If they put you on pain medications, be really careful when getting out of bed, standing, and any other time where light-headedness could result in a fall. You don't want to fall down with unhealed incisions.

Unfortunately, no last meal. AFAIK, one is not supposed to eat 24 hrs before surgery so that one's alimentary canal is more or less empty, especially with what they are planning to do.

I hope all goes well tomorrow Evo, and I wish a speedy and full recovery.

My thoughts will be with you.

No lifting! That's what children and friends are for.

Keeping you close in thoughts and prayers.

Astronuc said:
Unfortunately, no last meal. AFAIK, one is not supposed to eat 24 hrs before surgery so that one's alimentary canal is more or less empty, especially with what they are planning to do.
I can eat normally up until midnight. And i can have clear liquids until 8am, including coffee.

Thank you, and everyone else for their thoughts and prayers. The surgery is just more of a nuisance than anything. After this, we can try to figure out what else is wrong.

Good luck Evo!

Kurdt said:
Good luck Evo!
Thanks Kurdt! While I'm gone, I will expect you to keep an eye on GD and report anything you see that's not right.

Oh no! Philosophy :eek:

I'll do my best. :smile:

Evo said:
I can eat normally up until midnight. And i can have clear liquids until 8am, including coffee.

Go ahead, eat a big breakfast...then follow up with a quick Almighty Cleanse.

Seriously, good luck and I hope all goes well :smile: .