Force, magnetic field, current, long straight wire

In summary, force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects, while a magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. Current, on the other hand, is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. When a long straight wire carries an electric current, it creates a magnetic field around it, which can exert a force on other magnetic objects. This force is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and current, and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.
jaredmt

Homework Statement

A long, straight wire carries a current of 2.5 A. An electron is traveling in the vicinity of the wire. At the instant when the electron is 4.5cm from the wire and traveling with a speed of 6.00 X 10^4 m/s directly toward the wire, what are the magnitude and direction (relative to the direction of the current) of the force that the magnetic field of the current exerts on the electron?

Homework Equations

F = qv X B

for an infinitely long straight wire:
B = (2x10^-7)(I)/r

so...
F = (qv) X (2x10^-7)(I)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 2.5A
r = .045m
v = 6x10^4 m/s
q = -1.6X10^-19 C

The answer is F = 1.07 X 10^-19 N. i got that right. but how do i know whether it is going with the current or against the current?

i think all i know is magnetic field, current and direction of electron are all perpendicular to each other. The answer says it goes WITH the current, but i don't understand how they got that

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the right hand rule: (1) point your fingers in the oppsosite direction of motion of the electron (since the electron has negative charge, qv will point opposite to v),(2) then curl them in the direction of the magnetic field; your thumb will then point in the direction of the force.

ok but first i would have to get the direction of the magnetic field. I am trying to see this with vector equations (i'd probably screw up the right hand rule on a test). i tried 2 different vector equations, 1 with the current in positive direction and 1 with the current in negative direction. let me know if this looks right:
B = magnetic field
r = distance from wire
q = charge
F = force

1)
B = IlXr

I(j) X r(i) = B(-k)

F = qv X B = -q(-i) X B(-k) = F(j)2)
B = Ilxr
I(-j) X r(i) = B(k)

F = qv X B = -q(-i) X B(k) = F(-j)the answers match up and I am pretty sure i did it right but i'd feel more confident if some1 could verify this

Looks good to me :approve:

However, I recommend you get a little practice with the right hand rule too. It can save you a lot of time on an exam.

In addition to finding the direction of the force (using the method I gave above), the right-hand rule can also help you find the direction of the magnetic field (which you of course need to know in order to find the force). Just point your thumb in the direction of the current, and make a loose fist...your fingers will curl around in the direction of the field.

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects, causing a change in motion or direction. It is measured in Newtons (N) and can be a push or pull on an object.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and can be visualized using magnetic field lines.

What is current?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, measured in Amperes (A). It is caused by the movement of electrons and is essential for the operation of electrical devices.

How does a long straight wire create a magnetic field?

A long straight wire carrying an electric current will create a magnetic field around it. The strength of the magnetic field increases as the current or length of the wire increases and decreases as the distance from the wire increases.

What is the relationship between force, magnetic field, and current in a long straight wire?

In a long straight wire, the magnetic field created by the current exerts a force on other magnetic objects in its vicinity. This force is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and the current, and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.