Ind the magnitude of the electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the electric field produced by two wires at point P, using the equations E = kQ/r^2 and \lambda=Q/L. The conversation also touches on setting up the integral and determining the limits of integration. The participants suggest working out the problem for a single finite rod and utilizing symmetry in setting up the integral. The final decision on the limits of integration is left to the individual solving the problem.
Oblivion77

Homework Statement

4hv2mr.png

148kug.png

Find the magnitude of the electric field these wires produce at point P, which is 60.0cm from each wire

Homework Equations

E = kQ/r^2, [tex]\lambda[/tex]=Q/L

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not exactly sure how to set up the integral, I have the formula of a general case (with no numbers, just letters). But I am confused how to do it with actual numbers, I don't just want to plug numbers into the formula. I want to know how to derive it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I might have figured it out, last thing that is confusing me is the limits of integration. I need to integrate over the length of the rod but not sure what the lower and upper limits should be? Would it be 0 for lower and 1.20 for upper for both of the rods?

Have you tried working it out for a single finite rod? What difference do you think will be there between the fields due to the two line charges? It would help if you said how you are setting about solving the problem.

Oblivion77 said:
I need to integrate over the length of the rod but not sure what the lower and upper limits should be? Would it be 0 for lower and 1.20 for upper for both of the rods?
Essentially, you decide. The only condition is that the difference between the limits is equal to the length of the rod. However, there are "good" choices and "not-so-good" choices. Typically, you want to set up an integral in order to make full use of symmetry.

What is the electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force exerted on a charged particle at a given point in space.

How is the electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated by dividing the electric force exerted on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge of that particle. It is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

What factors affect the magnitude of the electric field?

The magnitude of the electric field is affected by the amount of charge present, the distance between the charged particles, and the medium in which the particles are located.

How is the electric field represented graphically?

The electric field is represented graphically using electric field lines, which show the direction and strength of the field at different points. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field is.

How can the magnitude of the electric field be measured?

The magnitude of the electric field can be measured using a device called an electric field meter, which detects the strength of the electric field at a given point. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas and equations.