What is the Angle and Normal Force in a Towing Scenario?

In summary, the woman is towing her suitcase at a constant speed by pulling on a strap at an angle θ above the horizontal. The strap has a force of 35N and the ground exerts a force of 20N on the suitcase.
bolivartech

Homework Statement

A woman at an airport is towing her 20.0-kg suitcase at constant speed by pulling on a strap at an angle θ above the horizontal (Fig. P5.40). She pulls on the strap with a 35.0-N force. The friction force on the suitcase is 20.0 N. Draw a free-body diagram of the suitcase. (a) What angle does the strap make with the horizontal? (b) What normal force does the ground exert on the suitcase?

Homework Equations

F - fk = ma

W = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) F - fk = ma

35.0 N – 20.0 N = (20.0 kg)(sinѲ)(9.8 m/s2)

sinѲ = (15.0 N) / (20.0 kg)(9.8 m/s2)

Ѳ = sin-1[(15.0 N) / (20.0 kg)(9.8 m/s2)]

Ѳ = °

(b) W = mg

W = (20 kg)(9.8 m/s2)

W = 196 N

I don't know if what I attempted was even on the right path. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
the 35N at an angle of θ, has what x and y components?

It says it pulls at constant velocity which means the resultant horizontal force is what?

y = 35N sinθ
x = 25N cosθ - 20N

?

bolivartech said:
y = 35N sinθ
x = 35cosθ

So now

in the x direction the resultant force is zero so what is the equation for this sum of the forces in the x direction? You can find θ now.

sorry that was a typo

so

0 = 35N cosθ - 20N

20N / 35N = cosθ

θ = cos^-1 (20N / 35N) = 48.19

I really over complicated that. I need to remember to make sure I see all the parts before I begin. Can you tell me if I did the second part correctly? The normal force is the opposite of W since it is not moving in the Y direction right?

bolivartech;2361265 I really over complicated that. I need to remember to make sure I see all the parts before I begin. Can you tell me if I did the second part correctly? The normal force is the opposite of W since it is not moving in the Y direction right?[/QUOTE said:
ok well you should remember that the force she is pulling with has a vertical component of 35sinθ which points upwards just like the normal reaction (R).

The sum of these two = weight.

I think you can find R now.

Got it, thanks!

1. What is the definition of "angle of force"?

The angle of force is the direction in which a force is applied to an object, measured in degrees or radians.

2. How is the angle of force determined?

The angle of force is determined by using a protractor or other measuring tool to measure the angle between the direction of the applied force and a reference line, such as the horizontal or vertical axis.

3. What is the importance of determining the angle of force?

Determining the angle of force is important in understanding the motion and behavior of objects. It can help predict the direction and magnitude of the resulting movement or change in velocity.

4. Can the angle of force affect the strength of a force?

Yes, the angle of force can affect the strength of a force. When the angle is at 0 degrees, the force is at its maximum strength. As the angle increases, the force becomes weaker until it reaches 90 degrees, where the force is completely perpendicular and has no effect on the object.

5. Are there any tools or techniques for calculating the angle of force in a complex system?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques, such as vector analysis and trigonometry, that can be used to calculate the angle of force in a complex system. Computer software and simulations can also be helpful in visualizing and calculating the angle of force in intricate systems.