Proving an Autonomous First Order ODE is Bounded

In summary, the problem is to show that for the given auto. first order ode, if the radius of the solution is 1, then dr/dt is less than 0, or if dr/dt is 0, then the radius of the solution is constant and the ode is bounded. The attempt at a solution involves defining a new equation and using dy/dx and dx/dy, but the solution is still unclear.
RJq36251

Homework Statement

For the following auto. first order ode: x' = x^2 - y -1 , y' = x + x*y, show that each integral curve begins inside the unit circle remains there for all future time.

Homework Equations

Okay, i think what needs to be shown... define a new equation r^2 = x^2 + y^2. Show that if dr/dt = 0, then the radius of the solution is constant, and therefore the ode is bounded. I just do not know how to solve that ode.

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, this is probably a very simple question and I apologize for the sloppy notation. I first let dy/dx = [(x)(y+1)]/[x^2 - (y+1)]. Then... dx/dy = [x]/[(y+1)] - [1]/[x] . I'm completely lost on how to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi RJq36251! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
RJq36251 said:
Okay, i think what needs to be shown... define a new equation r^2 = x^2 + y^2. Show that if dr/dt = 0, then the radius of the solution is constant, and therefore the ode is bounded.

Not following that :redface:

you need to show that, if r = 1, then dr/dt < 0 (or if dr/dt = 0, then … ) :smile:

What is an autonomous first order ODE?

An autonomous first order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a differential equation that involves only one independent variable and its derivatives. It does not depend on any other variables or parameters.

What does it mean for an autonomous first order ODE to be bounded?

A bounded autonomous first order ODE means that the solutions to the equation do not grow without bound and remain within a finite range or interval.

Why is it important to prove that an autonomous first order ODE is bounded?

Proving that an autonomous first order ODE is bounded is important because it ensures that the solutions to the equation will not become infinite or unmanageable. This allows for more accurate and reliable predictions and analysis in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some methods for proving an autonomous first order ODE is bounded?

Some common methods for proving an autonomous first order ODE is bounded include using the mean value theorem, Lyapunov stability theory, and the comparison principle.

Are there any specific conditions that must be met for an autonomous first order ODE to be bounded?

Yes, there are certain conditions that must be met for an autonomous first order ODE to be bounded. These conditions may vary depending on the specific equation, but generally involve the coefficients and initial conditions of the equation.