What Should We Call This Decade? Naming the 2000s and Beyond"

• Thread starter check
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses potential names for the current decade, with suggestions including "the naughts," "the double O's," and "the two thousands." Some suggest using the same naming convention as previous decades, such as calling it "the hundreds," but others argue that it lacks the same appeal. The conversation also touches on the lack of a distinct cultural identity for this decade and the idea of using a numerical name like "the aughts." Ultimately, there is no consensus on what to call this decade and some suggest humorous or unconventional options such as "the Bob" or "the n00b-ade." The conversation ends with a playful discussion about possible names based on significant events or individuals.
check
The decade’s almost half over… so what are we going to call it?

It’s one of those things that’s been coming up time and again since 2000, what do we call this decade? We had The (nineteen) Nineties, Eighties, Seventies… etc. but there doesn’t seem to be a general consensus as what to call the present decade.

Some are calling for the ‘naughts’, the double O’s, even the two thousands (in my opinion the worst one)

I guess the best way to determine what to call this decade is to look back at other decades that ended with 00, such as 1900. 1900 to 1909 is often referred to as the nineteen hundreds. Similarly 1800 to 1809 is often referred to as the eighteen hundreds and so on. The problem with this is that it doesn’t have the same sort of “zing” as the other decades. “The hundreds” doesn’t sound nearly as cool as “the nineties.” A ‘Best of the nineties’ CD sounds fine, but imagine “Best of the hundreds’? Not so cool.

So does this decade get screwed over? I think so.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's really something to chew on. What can we say about the music, art, philosophy, science and politics of this decade thus far? And can it be summarized?

Double O's seems an extreme misnomer, since my opinion it has been (pardon the pun) extremely anti-climactic.

Yep, I think it all can be summarized easily...zippo! The zeros sounds good to me :-)

Really, you have to think when those "oldies" stations are playing the '00s, '10s and '20s, what will the DJ be saying? "More of those classic zeros, tens and twenties hits right after this commercial break!" Maybe it's just as well that the music of the past 4 years really hasn't distinguished itself from that of the 1990's, so nobody will notice if this decade is missing.

How about Gor'rak? Or Zukhed?

check said:
1900. 1900 to 1909 is often referred to as the nineteen hundreds. Similarly 1800 to 1809 is often referred to as the eighteen hundreds and so on.

Oh hope that is 1900 - 1999 and 1800 - 1899.

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Twenties.

Simple, compact and doesn't need a lot of thniking about.

The Bob (2004 ©)

the "wishing we could make nano stuff" decade?

The Bob said:
Oh hope that is 1900 - 1999 and 1800 - 1899.

It's true that the nineteen hundreds could refer to 1900 - 1999, but I think more often than not people use it to describe the years 1900 to 1909.

So it's just a decade, not a century? And we're now in the latest one: 2001 to 2009? So we want a numerical name to go along with "the teens" and "the twenties" and so on? Back in the first decade of the 20th century they used "the aughts"; aught is an old word for zero. But in the hundred years since then we have become totally ahistorical, so I guess an old word wouldn't work for us.

Fred. Fred the decade.

The n00b-ade.

All these threads called "Help Name...,Please" -- I hope no one is making fun of me with these titles. :(

No way. Holly. You just started the hottest new thread type on PF, you trendsetter!

"the decade that the "pre-emptive warfare" term was invented" decade?

I prefer Cecil

what was the surname of the german married couple who didn't know they had to have sex in order to get pregnant? i think they deserve the honor...

What is the purpose of naming a decade?

The purpose of naming a decade is to provide a label or identifier for a specific period of time, typically spanning 10 years. This can help people easily reference and categorize events, trends, and cultural shifts that occurred during that time period.

Who is responsible for naming a decade?

There is no specific individual or organization responsible for naming a decade. It is often a collective effort, with input from historians, cultural experts, and the general public.

What criteria are used to name a decade?

The criteria for naming a decade can vary, but generally it involves identifying significant events, cultural movements, or trends that are representative of that time period. The name should also be easily recognizable and widely accepted by the public.

How long does it take to name a decade?

The process of naming a decade can vary in length, as it depends on factors such as the significance and impact of events during that time period, as well as the level of agreement among experts and the public on a suitable name. It can take anywhere from a few months to several years.

Can a decade have multiple names?

Yes, a decade can have multiple names. This can occur when different regions or cultures have different perspectives on the defining events or trends of that time period. Additionally, as time passes and perspectives change, a decade may be referred to by different names by different individuals or groups.