Constructing Phase Portrait of System with Mathematica

In summary, to construct a phase portrait of a system in Mathematica, define its differential equations, use the <code>StreamPlot</code> command to generate a vector field plot, and the <code>ParametricPlot</code> command to plot the trajectories. The appearance of the phase portrait can be customized by adjusting options in these commands. It is also possible to animate the phase portrait using the <code>Manipulate</code> function. However, Mathematica has limitations in handling systems with more than 10 differential equations and may have decreased accuracy for systems with extreme values. The phase portrait can be exported from Mathematica as an image or vector graphic for use in other software or presentations.
ManuelF
How can I construct the phase portrait(with Mathematica) of the following system?
[tex]\dot{x}(t)=y(t)[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}(t)=-x^3(t)+4x(t)y(t)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The phase portrait would be four dimensional, so it would be pretty hard to plot.

Oops, my previous response was incorrect. I didn't notice that this is two first order equations instead of two second order equations. The phase portrait can be easily obtained as:

StreamDensityPlot[{y, -x^3 + 4 x y}, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}]

1. How can I use Mathematica to construct a phase portrait of a system?

To construct a phase portrait of a system using Mathematica, you will first need to define the system's differential equations. Then, use the command StreamPlot to generate a vector field plot of the system. Finally, use the command ParametricPlot to plot the trajectories of the system.

2. Can I customize the appearance of the phase portrait in Mathematica?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the phase portrait in Mathematica by adjusting the options in the StreamPlot and ParametricPlot commands. This includes changing the color, size, and style of the vector field and trajectories.

3. Is it possible to animate the phase portrait in Mathematica?

Yes, you can animate the phase portrait in Mathematica by using the Manipulate function. This allows you to vary the parameters of the system and see how it affects the phase portrait over time.

4. Are there any limitations to constructing a phase portrait in Mathematica?

One limitation of using Mathematica to construct a phase portrait is that it can only handle systems with up to 10 differential equations. Additionally, the accuracy of the phase portrait may decrease for systems with very small or large values.

5. Can I export the phase portrait from Mathematica to use in other software?

Yes, you can export the phase portrait from Mathematica as an image or a vector graphic. This allows you to use it in other software or include it in a presentation or publication.