Calculate Initial Velocities & Determine Fault: Skid Data Analysis"

• Thread starter 123bob123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, there was a collision between a H2 heading North and a convertible Mini Cooper heading East, due to faulty traffic signals. The collision resulted in a skid mark of 7.6 m at an angle of 51 degrees North of East. The question asks for the initial velocities of the vehicles and who should get a ticket, assuming the speed limit was 30 mph. However, the problem lacks important information such as the masses of the vehicles and the coefficient of friction. Without this information, it is not possible to determine the initial velocities and assign blame for the collision.
123bob123

Homework Statement

A H2 was headed North and a convertible Mini Cooper was headed East. Due to faulty traffic signals, they collided, leaving a skid mark 7.6 m long at an angle of 51 degrees North of East. What was the initial velocity of each vehicle and, if the speed limit was 30 mph, who should get a ticket

Using the above skid data, what would the intitial velocities and who should get the ticket if the East-bound car was a Smart Car and the North-bound car was the convertible Mini?

Had to toss out the rest of the template as I really am in the dark. Seems really simple but I can't for the life of me recall how to attack this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 123bob123! :wink:

(i assume the question gives you masses, and the coefficient of fricyion?)

Momentum is always conserved in collisions, so use conservation of momentum (and find the final velocity from the stopping distance and the standard constant acceleration equations).

What do you get? :smile:

According to the problem itself, it doesn't give the mass for the vehicles or the coefficient which is what is throwing me for a loop. Is there any way to do this?

mass of H2 > then mass of Mini coop

assume same tires same road so friction coeff is the same

Do you mind running me through the problem or a similar example? As I'm not entirely sure how I would be to make assumptions without the actual numbers.

Hi 123bob123! :smile:
123bob123 said:
According to the problem itself, it doesn't give the mass for the vehicles or the coefficient which is what is throwing me for a loop. Is there any way to do this?

No. You need at least to know the coefficient of friction, and the approximate ratio of masses of the two vehicles. :frown:

(do they expect you to look them up? :redface:)

I really doubt that is the case. Must've been a mistake.

1. What does it mean to be "completely lost" on something?

Being completely lost on something means that you do not understand or have no knowledge of the subject or topic at hand. It can also refer to feeling overwhelmed or confused about a particular concept or idea.

2. How can I overcome being completely lost on a subject?

The best way to overcome being completely lost on a subject is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying what you do understand and then work on filling in the gaps in your knowledge. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor, studying with a group, and practicing regularly can also help improve your understanding.

3. Is being completely lost on a subject a sign of weakness?

No, being completely lost on a subject does not necessarily mean you are weak. It simply means that you do not have a strong understanding of the subject yet. Everyone learns at their own pace and it is completely normal to struggle with certain topics. The important thing is to keep trying and seeking help when needed.

4. How can I prevent feeling completely lost on a subject in the future?

To prevent feeling completely lost on a subject in the future, it is important to actively engage in your learning. Take notes, ask questions, and participate in class discussions. Additionally, try to make connections between new material and what you already know. This can help solidify your understanding and make future topics easier to grasp.

5. Are there any resources available to help me when I am completely lost on a subject?

Yes, there are many resources available to help when you are completely lost on a subject. Your teacher or professor is always a good resource to start with, as well as classmates, tutors, and online resources such as educational websites and videos. Don't be afraid to reach out for help when you need it.