Are Filled Bands in Insulators Equivalent to Non-Mobile Electrons?

In summary: I am a little worried when you say "states". We are talking about an electron moving from an ion #1 to an ion #2 in the lattice. How does that correspond to an electron gaining crystal...In summary, an electron in an insulator does not gain crystal due to its lack of Fermi spheres.
Niles
Hi all

A conductor is a conductor, because it has an unfilled energy band. Likewise, insulators have filled bands, hence they do not conduct.

Now, these two statements say nothing about the mobility of the electrons. How is it that an unfilled band is equivalent of mobile electrons, while a filled band is equivalent of non-mobile electrons? I think it has something to do with a continuous change of the momentum of the electrons by applying a field; am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is how one describes the conduction band. In the simplest case, the conduction band is described via a series of plane-wave states. If you've solved for a simple free-electron wavefunction, you'll find that the electron is non-local, i.e., try to find <x>, for example.

This isn't always true for the filled valence band.

Another way to look at this is via the "hopping" parameter. The unfilled band only requires an electron with very minimal energy above the Fermi energy to be able to hop to an empty state. In the conduction band, all the states are filled. Since a fermion cannot hop onto a state that's already filled, its ability to hop has been suppressed. Thus, no mobility.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Another way to look at this is via the "hopping" parameter. The unfilled band only requires an electron with very minimal energy above the Fermi energy to be able to hop to an empty state.

Please take a look at this picture: http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/science_fair_projects_encyclopedia/upload/a/a3/Semiconductor_band_structure_%28lots_of_bands%29.png

Now, the length of the rectangles span over k-vectors. How do you explain from this graph that an electron with minimal energy above the Fermi energy is able to hop to an empty state, since the empty states are along the horizontal axis?

Last edited by a moderator:
Niles said:
Please take a look at this picture: http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/science_fair_projects_encyclopedia/upload/a/a3/Semiconductor_band_structure_%28lots_of_bands%29.png

Now, the length of the rectangles span over k-vectors. How do you explain from this graph that an electron with minimal energy above the Fermi energy is able to hop to an empty state, since the empty states are along the horizontal axis?

Link doesn't work.

What I mean by "minimal energy" is that since the band of states is continuous, it takes almost nothing for an electron to move into an empty state/location.

Zz.

I fixed the link for you:

http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/science_fair_projects_encyclopedia/upload/a/a3/Semiconductor_band_structure_(lots_of_bands).png"

Torquil

Note that there are also insulators with an unfilled energy band, namely so called "Mott insulators".

torquil said:
I fixed the link for you:

http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/science_fair_projects_encyclopedia/upload/a/a3/Semiconductor_band_structure_(lots_of_bands).png"

Torquil

Thanks!

ZapperZ said:
Link doesn't work.

What I mean by "minimal energy" is that since the band of states is continuous, it takes almost nothing for an electron to move into an empty state/location.

Zz.

I think there is a fundamental thing about the bands I haven't understood yet. When I apply an external E-field, then an electron in e.g. the 1. Brillouin zone goes into a state in the 2. Brillouin zone, and the electrons in the 2. Brillouin zone go the third and so on? This is what you mean by electrons moving into empty states?

Niles said:
Thanks!

Link still doesn't work for me.

I think there is a fundamental thing about the bands I haven't understood yet. When I apply an external E-field, then an electron in e.g. the 1. Brillouin zone goes into a state in the 2. Brillouin zone, and the electrons in the 2. Brillouin zone go the third and so on? This is what you mean by electrons moving into empty states?

No, there's no need for transition into different Brillouin zones.

Look at the electrons at the Fermi energy. Add an infinitesimal amount of energy to it. Can it go "up" to that state? Sure it can! It's empty! It doesn't even change its k-momentum that much in doing that.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Link still doesn't work for me.

Wow, that is strange. It works for me some of the times. If I right-click and choose "copy link location", and paste it manually in the address field, then it works. When I subsequently click on the lin, it works.

If I click on the link without having manually pasted it in the address field first, then it doesn't work...

Well well, you have probably seen the picture before anyway.

The same picture is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conduction_band

Torquil

ZapperZ said:
Look at the electrons at the Fermi energy. Add an infinitesimal amount of energy to it. Can it go "up" to that state? Sure it can! It's empty! It doesn't even change its k-momentum that much in doing that.

Zz.

Ok, I am convinced now. And the reason why this doesn't hold for insulators is that insulators do not have Fermi spheres. Correct?

I am a little worried when you say "states". We are talking about an electron moving from an ion #1 to an ion #2 in the lattice. How does that correspond to an electron gaining crystal momentum?

Niles said:
Ok, I am convinced now. And the reason why this doesn't hold for insulators is that insulators do not have Fermi spheres. Correct?

I am a little worried when you say "states". We are talking about an electron moving from an ion #1 to an ion #2 in the lattice. How does that correspond to an electron gaining crystal momentum?

Not sure why "states" and "gaining momentum" have anything to do with each other in this context. The 'states' here also include spatial location, as in the exclusion principle. I also didn't say anything about gaining crystal momentum, did I?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Not sure why "states" and "gaining momentum" have anything to do with each other in this context. The 'states' here also include spatial location, as in the exclusion principle. I also didn't say anything about gaining crystal momentum, did I?

Zz.

That is right, you did not. But we are applying an electric field, so the electrons gain momentum.

Last edited:

What are insulators and conductors?

Insulators and conductors are two types of materials that have very different properties when it comes to conducting electricity. Insulators are materials that do not allow electricity to flow through them easily, while conductors are materials that allow electricity to flow through them easily.

What makes a material an insulator or a conductor?

The ability of a material to conduct electricity depends on its atomic structure. Insulators have tightly bound electrons, which makes it difficult for electricity to flow through them. On the other hand, conductors have loosely bound electrons, which makes it easier for electricity to flow through them.

What are some common examples of insulators?

Some common examples of insulators include rubber, plastic, glass, wood, and air. These materials do not allow electricity to pass through them easily, which makes them useful for electrical insulation in wires and cables.

What are some common examples of conductors?

Some common examples of conductors include copper, aluminum, gold, and silver. These materials have loosely bound electrons, which makes them excellent conductors of electricity. They are commonly used in electrical wires, circuits, and electronic devices.

Why are insulators and conductors important?

Insulators and conductors play a crucial role in our daily lives, especially in the field of electricity. Insulators help to protect us from electric shocks and prevent short circuits, while conductors allow electricity to flow and power our devices. Without these materials, electricity would not be able to be safely transported and used in our homes and industries.