Entropy of fusion; two methods, different result?

In summary, the correct method for calculating the entropy of fusion of A at 25deg C is to use Kirchhoffs Law and the definition of entropy. The incorrect result obtained from the second approach is due to the assumption of reversibility, which is not true in the case of melting. Kirchhoffs Law takes into account the non-reversibility of the process and gives the correct result.
standardflop
"Calculate the entropy of fusion of A at 25deg C given that its enthalpy of fusion is 32kJ/mol at its melting point 146deg C. Also given is Cp,m(liquid)= 28J/mol/K and Cp,m(s)= 19J/mol/K."

I thought of two approaches. Both should be valid (to my knowledge), but only the first gives the correct result. The first one:
Using Kirchhoffs Law,
[tex] \Delta H (T2) = \Delta H(T1) + \int_{T_1}^{T_2}\Delta Cp,m dT\approx \Delta H(T1)+\Delta Cp,m (T2-T1)[/tex]
and then applying the definition
[tex] \Delta S(T2)= \frac{\Delta H(T2)}{T2} [/tex]
(gives the correct result)

But my second idea apparently failed:
Simply setting up the cyclic equality
[tex] \Delta S(s\to l,T2) = \Delta S(s,T2to T1)+\Delta S(s\to l,T1)+\Delta S(l,T1\to T2) [/tex]

where the terms are of the form
[tex] \Delta S(i,T1\to T2) = Cp,m \ln (T2/T1) [/tex]
Can someone tell me why this approach gives a different result, about 73J/mol/K compared with the first, and correct, result of approx. 100J/mol/K.?
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your contribution to the forum. I can help explain why your second approach did not give the correct result. The reason is that the cyclic equality you set up assumes that the process is reversible, meaning that the system is in thermal equilibrium at all times. However, in the case of melting, this is not true. When a solid melts, there is a temperature gradient between the solid and liquid phases, meaning that the temperature is not the same throughout the system. Therefore, the process is not reversible and the cyclic equality cannot be applied.

In the first approach, Kirchhoffs Law takes into account the change in enthalpy due to the temperature difference between the melting point and the desired temperature. This accounts for the non-reversibility of the process and gives the correct result.

I hope this helps clarify the issue. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

1. What is the concept of entropy of fusion?

The entropy of fusion refers to the amount of disorder or randomness in a substance as it undergoes a phase change from solid to liquid. It is a measure of the amount of energy required to overcome the attractive forces between molecules in a solid and allow them to move freely in a liquid state.

2. What are the two different methods used to calculate the entropy of fusion?

The two methods commonly used to calculate the entropy of fusion are the Clausius-Clapeyron equation and the statistical mechanics approach. The Clausius-Clapeyron equation uses experimental data on the melting point and heat of fusion to calculate the entropy of fusion. The statistical mechanics approach uses the principles of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics to calculate the entropy of fusion based on the molecular structure and interactions of the substance.

3. Why do the two methods for calculating the entropy of fusion often result in different values?

The two methods for calculating the entropy of fusion make different assumptions and use different equations, leading to potential differences in the final result. Additionally, experimental errors and variations in the physical properties of the substance can also contribute to the discrepancies between the two methods.

4. Which method is more accurate for calculating the entropy of fusion?

Both methods have their strengths and limitations, and the accuracy of the result depends on various factors such as the properties of the substance and the quality of the experimental data. In some cases, the Clausius-Clapeyron equation may provide a more accurate result, while in others, the statistical mechanics approach may be more reliable. It is best to use both methods and compare the results to determine the most accurate value.

5. How can discrepancies in the calculated entropy of fusion be resolved?

If there are significant discrepancies between the results obtained from the two methods, it is essential to carefully examine the assumptions and equations used in each method and check for any potential errors or uncertainties in the experimental data. In some cases, further experiments may be needed to obtain more accurate data for a more precise calculation of the entropy of fusion.