What Determines the Formula for a Magnetic Field Around a Wire?

In summary, The magnetic field's formula, B=k2i/r, can be derived using Ampère's Law in cylindrical coordinates. This shows that the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the radius and directly proportional to the current flowing through the loop.
coki2000
Hi,
Why the magnetic field's formula is B=k2i/r.Where does come from?Please prove to me.Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
coki2000 said:
Hi,
Why the magnetic field's formula is B=k2i/r.Where does come from?Please prove to me.Thanks.

There's a couple of ways to derive the equation for the magnetic field of a long wire. Ampère's Law is probably the easiest way.

Ampère's Law states

[tex] \oint _C \vec B \cdot \vec {dl} = \mu _0 I _{enc} [/tex]

Where where the integral involves any arbitrary closed path (meaning the path must start and end at the same point -- in other words a loop). [tex] \mu _0 [/tex] is the permeability of free space, and Ienc is the current flowing through the loop.

Consider a very long wire with current flowing through it. Now imagine tracing out a hoop around the wire, such that the wire passes through the middle of the hoop. The hoop as a radius r.

Now we can solve Ampère's Law in cylindrical coordinates. Note that in spherical coordinates, [tex] dl = rd \phi [/tex]. Putting this together gives us

[tex] \int _0 ^{2 \pi} \vec B \cdot r\vec {d \phi} = \mu _0 I _{enc} [/tex]

Note that r is a constant, here. Also note that the magnitude of B is also a constant due to cylindrical symmetry. So if we work with just the magnitudes, we can pull B and r out from under the integral.

[tex] Br \int _0 ^{2 \pi} d \phi = \mu _0 I _{enc} [/tex]

[tex] = 2 \pi r B = \mu _0 I _{enc} [/tex]

[tex] B = \frac{\mu _0}{2 \pi}\frac{I}{ r} [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be exerted on a charged particle or a magnetic material. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, and is characterized by both strength and direction.

2. How is a magnetic field formulated?

A magnetic field is formulated using the mathematical concept of vector fields. This involves using equations to describe the strength and direction of the field at any given point in space, based on the properties of the sources of the field, such as electric currents or magnetic materials.

3. What are the units of measurement for a magnetic field?

The units of measurement for a magnetic field are typically in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). These units represent the strength of the field, with 1 T equal to 10,000 G. Another commonly used unit is the oersted (Oe), which is used to measure the intensity of magnetization in a material.

4. What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

A magnetic field and an electric field are both types of electromagnetic fields, but they have different characteristics. A magnetic field is created by moving electrically charged particles, while an electric field is created by stationary electric charges. Additionally, a magnetic field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while an electric field is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

5. How does the Earth's magnetic field protect us?

The Earth's magnetic field is generated by the movement of liquid iron in its outer core. This magnetic field acts as a shield, protecting the Earth's surface from the harmful effects of the solar wind, which is a stream of charged particles from the Sun. The magnetic field deflects most of these particles, preventing them from reaching the Earth's surface and causing damage to our atmosphere and technology.