Can You Calculate Acceleration Using Power or Work?

In summary: It is telling you that the accel is the change in velocity over a time period. If you integrate the equation, you will find the accel is simply P/v.
timman_24
I know acceleration can be found by the following basic equation:
A=F/M

But my question is can you also find acceleration using power or work?

Background:
I am doing a project in physics right now that involves taking the torque, weight, and drag of the car and calculating the theoretical 0-60, 1/4, and 1/8 mile times. The problem is cars are rated in horsepower (power) and torque (work.) I don't exactly know how to 1) Break them down to their force properties and solve or 2) make an equation that will solve for acceleration.

Can anyone help out?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] F = ma [/tex]

[tex] W = Fd [/tex]

[tex] P = \frac{W}{t} [/tex]

sub in Work into Power

[tex] W = Fd [/tex]

[tex] P = \frac{Fd}{t} [/tex]

since [tex] V = \frac{d}{t} [/tex]

[tex] P = FV [/tex]

play around with those, see what you get.

Well I messed around and got these... But it still isn't what I am looking for. Anyone else have some input?

[tex] P=FxTxA [/tex]
[tex] P=pxA [/tex]
[tex] P=MxVxA [/tex]

I subed in momentum for [tex] FxT [/tex].
Then I subed in Mass and Velocity for Momentum...

Doesn't help me much, but it does get acceleration in the equation...

Nenad told you what how to get force from power: F=P/v. Use F=ma=dv/dt. You still need air resistance losses, and these are proportional to v^2.
[tex]m{dv\over dt}={P\over v}-kv^2[/tex]
This gives v vs. t and you need to integrate once more to get distance vs. t.
You can get the proportionality constant k knowing the top speed and power, or the drag coefficient.

BTW, torque is not work.
BTW, given an adequate transmission, torque is a spurious performance parameter.

Okay I ended up getting power from velocity and air resistance using the drag formula:

[Tex]P=(cD)(A)(d)(v)^3[/tex]

Now what I need is not getting power from force but getting the accel from power. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
accel is dv/dt. Look again at the formula I gave. It is essentially ma=P/v-kv^2

What is acceleration using power?

Acceleration using power is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity changes over time due to an applied force. It is a combination of both force and time, and can be calculated using the equation: a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force, and m is mass.

How is acceleration using power related to Newton's second law?

Acceleration using power is directly related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the greater the mass of the object, the smaller its acceleration will be.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration using power?

Average acceleration using power is the change in velocity over a given period of time, while instantaneous acceleration using power is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity function.

How does acceleration using power affect an object's motion?

Acceleration using power plays a crucial role in an object's motion. If an object is accelerating, it means that it is either speeding up or slowing down. The direction of the acceleration depends on the direction of the net force acting on the object. When the net force and acceleration are in the same direction, the object's speed increases, and when they are in opposite directions, the object's speed decreases.

What are some real-life examples of acceleration using power?

There are many examples of acceleration using power in our daily lives. Some common ones include the acceleration of a car when we press the gas pedal, the acceleration of a ball when it is thrown or kicked, and the acceleration of an airplane during takeoff. Other examples include the acceleration of a roller coaster as it goes down a steep hill and the acceleration of a person as they jump off a diving board into a pool.