Could using bacteria DNA in humans make them resistant to radiation?

In summary: However, there are many dangers associated with radiation exposure, so I advise you to do some more research before making any decisions.
chound
I read in alocal daily that some bacteria have around 1000rads. Can we take that dna and put it in humans and make them resistant to radiation. Then can we use nuclear power everywhere(like planes, cars, etc)

Science news on Phys.org
Don't you mean that there are bacteria that can "withstand" 1000 rads? :wink:

Yes, such bacteria do exist. There is even one bacteria called D. radiodurans that can survive in radial doses exceeding 1,000,000 rads.

Can this unique feature be intergrated into human DNA? I would like to see you try. :smile:

BTW, this job is left up to biologists and not physicists. :tongue2:

Last edited:
This may be possible put I am not to sure how... I am pretty sure that if we implemented that DNA into humans, I am only saying this in this case, that it wouldn't work as the entire cell structure would change as it is chemical properties that make it resistant so we would need and have new chemicals going around that would probably ruin everything

umm, we use more radiative devices and absorb more radiation in 1 day than we would if we has properly shielded nuclear reactors on transportation and no other radiative devices.

educate yourself on nuclear power and radiation and the amount we take in from coal on a daily basis before you make a decision on nuclear power...

also, look into thorium based nuclear reactors, much more friendly to the environment and the the political world. plus, with a fully nuclear based energy supply, we could split water and use H2 as a container for the energy rather than having to have nuclear reactors everywhere.

didn't they use to make spark plugs with Po-210?
http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Elements/084/index.s7.html
They used their radioactivity as a selling point.
I don't know why they thought they were better spark plugs.
Maybe it had something to do with a flawed mental connection between the anti-static properties and sparking in a car's cylinder.

shrumeo said:
didn't they use to make spark plugs with Po-210?
http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Elements/084/index.s7.html
They used their radioactivity as a selling point.
I don't know why they thought they were better spark plugs.
Maybe it had something to do with a flawed mental connection between the anti-static properties and sparking in a car's cylinder.

I'd say that it was due to the era and nuclear/radioactive mania that made them think it was a good idea. Tesla, a very brilliant man, used to bombard his head with x-rays because he believed that it stimulated neural activity.

What is radiation and why is it dangerous?

Radiation is energy that is emitted in the form of particles or waves. It can come from various sources, such as the sun, nuclear power plants, and medical procedures. Exposure to high levels of radiation can damage cells and tissues in the body, leading to health problems like cancer.

What are the different types of radiation?

The three main types of radiation are alpha, beta, and gamma. Alpha particles are large and heavy and can be stopped by a sheet of paper. Beta particles are smaller and can penetrate through skin, but can be stopped by a thin layer of aluminum. Gamma rays are the most penetrating and require thick layers of concrete or lead to shield against them.

How can I protect myself from radiation?

There are several ways to protect yourself from radiation. The most important is to limit your exposure by avoiding unnecessary exposure to radiation sources. If you work in an environment with potential radiation exposure, follow safety protocols and wear protective gear. You can also use shielding materials, such as lead aprons or concrete walls, to protect against certain types of radiation.

What are some common sources of radiation exposure?

Natural sources of radiation include cosmic rays from the sun and radioactive elements in the earth's crust. Man-made sources include medical procedures like X-rays and CT scans, nuclear power plants, and industrial processes that use radioactive materials. Radon gas, which can seep into buildings from the ground, is also a common source of radiation exposure.

Can radiation exposure be treated?

The effects of radiation exposure can be treated depending on the level of exposure and the type of radiation. In some cases, immediate treatment may be necessary to prevent or minimize damage to the body. In other cases, long-term monitoring and management of health effects may be required. It is important to seek medical attention if you suspect you have been exposed to high levels of radiation.