Vertical double slit experiment separation of bright spots in air and water

In summary, the scientist's attempt at the double-slit experiment in a vertical tube with water yielded a different separation of bright spots compared to when air was present. This is due to the change in wavelength and possible changes in the distance between the slits and the screen. Using the equation (nw)/d=x/L, the new values for λ2, d, and L can be used to find the separation of the bright spots in water.
SilentBlade91

Homework Statement

A scientist decides to do the double-slit experiment in a ver-
tical tube, with the slits at the top and a viewing screen at the
bottom as shown. With red light from a HeNe laser (632 nm) a
nice pattern forms on the viewing screen, with the bright spots
1.50 cm apart.

Now the scientist fills the tube up with water. What
is the separation of the bright spots now?

Homework Equations

(nw)/d=x/L
I think

The Attempt at a Solution

So we know n1 (air) is 1, and n2 (water) is 1.33. I thought the 1.50 cm was x1, so we need to find x2. I figured the L,w, and d would all be the same for both cases so I rearranged the equation so that (Lw)/d=x/n. then I set x1/n1=x2/n2 and solved for x2 and got about 2 cm. This was not right. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at a solution. Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few things to consider.

First, when light travels from air to water, the wavelength of the light changes. This can be calculated using the equation λ2 = λ1 / n, where λ1 is the original wavelength (632 nm) and n is the refractive index of water (1.33).

Second, the distance between the slits (d) and the distance from the slits to the screen (L) may also change when the tube is filled with water. This is because the water will have a different refractive index than air, which affects the path of the light.

So, to find the separation of the bright spots in water, you will need to use the equation you mentioned (nw)/d=x/L, but with the new values for λ2, d, and L.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification.

1. What is the vertical double slit experiment?

The vertical double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does the separation of bright spots differ in air and water?

The separation of bright spots in the vertical double slit experiment is determined by the wavelength of the light and the distance between the two slits. In air, the separation is wider due to the lower refractive index, while in water, the separation is narrower due to the higher refractive index.

3. Why is the vertical double slit experiment important?

The vertical double slit experiment is important because it provides evidence for the wave-like nature of light, which was a major breakthrough in understanding the properties of light. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics and telecommunications.

4. Can the vertical double slit experiment be performed with other types of waves?

Yes, the vertical double slit experiment can be performed with other types of waves, such as sound waves or water waves. The interference pattern will still be observed, demonstrating the wave-like behavior of these waves as well.

5. How does the vertical double slit experiment relate to the concept of diffraction?

The vertical double slit experiment is a type of diffraction experiment, as the light passing through the two slits diffracts and interferes with itself to create the observed pattern. This demonstrates the wave-like behavior of light and its ability to diffract around obstacles.