Show that B can't be a proper subset of A

• Thread starter gotjrgkr
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a function f that maps from a set A onto a subset B, where f is a one-to-one function. The task is to prove that B cannot be a proper subset of A, meaning that B is equal to A. The person asking the question is looking for a clue or explanation on how to approach this problem. An example is provided where f is onto and one-to-one but B is not equal to A.
gotjrgkr

Homework Statement

Let f be a function on A onto B where B is a subset of A, and f is a one-to-one function.
Now, I want to show that B can't be a proper subset of A( that is, not B[itex]\subset[/itex]A. this means B=A).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve this problem. Even though it is not complicated problem, but I don't have an idea how to prove it.

Could you give me a clue or something??

Physics news on Phys.org
gotjrgkr said:
Let f be a function on A onto B where B is a subset of A, and f is a one-to-one function.
Now, I want to show that B can't be a proper subset of A

hi gotjrgkr! :smile:

if A is the integers and B is the even integers, and if f:A -> B is defined by f(n) = 2n,

then f is onto and one-one, but B ≠ A :redface:

Thank you!

What does it mean for B to be a proper subset of A?

A proper subset of A is a subset of A that does not include all of the elements of A. In other words, there are elements in A that are not in B.

How can I show that B is not a proper subset of A?

To show that B is not a proper subset of A, you can either find at least one element in A that is not in B, or prove that B contains all of the elements in A.

What is the difference between a proper subset and a regular subset?

A proper subset is a subset that does not include all of the elements of the original set, while a regular subset can include all of the elements of the original set.

Why is it important to show that B is not a proper subset of A?

It is important to show that B is not a proper subset of A in order to accurately represent the relationship between the two sets. This can also help to avoid any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the sets.

Are there any techniques or strategies for proving that B is not a proper subset of A?

Yes, there are various techniques and strategies for proving that B is not a proper subset of A. Some common methods include using a proof by contradiction, counterexample, or mathematical induction.