How to convert time domaine signal into frequency domain signal

In summary, the conversation is about signal theory and the different types of transforms used to convert between time and frequency domains. The person asking for help is a newcomer to the topic and is interested in learning more. The expert, who has a Masters in electronics, suggests using transform methods and mentions that they have experience using them in LABView to remove noise from a signal taken from an accelerometer sensor attached to a motor. The person asking for help is open to receiving ideas and acknowledges that they still have things to learn in their field of study.
rama1001
Hi,

I am new to signal theory and don't know what is time domaine signal and frequency domaine signal. Please some can explaine me clearly and how can we convert between those two domaines.
I read the topic in wikipedia which makes me somepart clear but interested to know more.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have a Masters in electronics...

I like this topic of Signals and the way each signal can be represented mathematically. To your question the first thing that comes to my mind is Transform Methods. But my question is, when do you use all these transform methods. The ones I came across on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_transforms" [Broken]are Integral transforms and Discrete transforms and Discrete-time transforms and Data-dependent transforms and Other transforms. Now, when do you have to use all of these transforms, do you use it on any particular occasion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, i worked with them long ago. After three years again i came around here. I am using them in LABView. I have a signal that consists of noise which has taken from accelerometer sensor. The sensor is attached to a motor which has noise when the stroke touches near by mechanical part. I am going to attach the two pictures that i taken when noise frequencies are affected the original. I don't know how to proceed that the writing program should detet the these noise by seeing that noise picture and take the decision to remove that noise.

Please give me some ideas.

I am doing masters that means i need to listen to some other talented people. It is not that i know everything.

Attachments

• distrubed.jpg
    distrubed.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 532
  • goodone.jpg
    goodone.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 504

1. What is the purpose of converting a time domain signal into a frequency domain signal?

Converting a time domain signal into a frequency domain signal allows us to analyze the signal in terms of its frequency components. This can provide insights into the underlying patterns and characteristics of the signal that may not be easily observed in the time domain.

2. How is a time domain signal converted into a frequency domain signal?

This conversion is typically done using a mathematical process called the Fourier transform. This transforms the signal from the time domain, where it is represented as a function of time, to the frequency domain, where it is represented as a function of frequency.

3. What is the difference between a time domain signal and a frequency domain signal?

A time domain signal represents the signal in terms of its amplitude over time, while a frequency domain signal represents the signal in terms of its amplitude at different frequencies. Time domain signals are useful for analyzing the behavior of a signal over time, while frequency domain signals are useful for understanding the underlying components and patterns within the signal.

4. Can any type of signal be converted from time domain to frequency domain?

Yes, any type of signal, whether it is analog or digital, can be converted from time domain to frequency domain using the Fourier transform. This includes signals from various fields such as electronics, acoustics, and optics.

5. What are some applications of converting a time domain signal into a frequency domain signal?

The conversion of time domain signals into frequency domain signals has numerous applications in various fields, including signal processing, telecommunications, and image and sound analysis. It is also commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits and in the study of vibrations and waves.