Calculating Gear Ratios and Torque Transmission in a 3-Gear Train System

In summary, the gear train system has three gears meshing with each other (different sizes) gear A, B and C. Gear B is the input/driver and gears A and C are the output/driven. If I know the input RPM and input torque for gear B, what are the gear ratios/the amount of torque transmitted to gear A and C.
aasamt
I have a gear train system where i have 3 gears meshing with each other (different sizes) gear A, B and C. Gear B is my input/driver and gears A and C are my output/driven. If i know the input RPM and input torque for gear B, what are the gear ratios/the amount of torque transmitted to gear A and C. I doubt that i can say that ratio between A and B = ratio between B and C.

Also, would it be correct to say TA + TC = TB since gears A and C are in a sense parallel to each other. Use N for rpm and T for torque please. I would highly appreciate it if you just refrained from posting comments such "Google is a savior" and the sort.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I have understood you correctly, you actually have two simple trains,
B→A, and
B→C
that share the common input gear B.

The basic kinematic relation for rolling at the pitch point is
rb θb = ra θ a= rc θc
where the r's are pitch radii and the θ's are the angles turned by the respective gears.

The respective train ratios are then
θ ab = rb/ra = nb/na
θ cb = rb/rc = nb/nc

The last equality follows because the tooth numbers are proportional to the pitch radii.

With this much given to you, let me suggest that you think a bit about the static equilibrium problem for this system in order to get the torque relations.

Thank you for your reply. I have a follow up question.
I figured your first relationship rbθb = raθa= rcθc is based on the fact that the amount of displacement (arc length) should be the same for all gears, and when dividing θ by time t, i can get the ratios in terms of ω and radius, r (or D). However, I am kind of confused about the torque ratios. Based on your statement that the system is simply two gear trains, then would it be correct to say that DB/DA = TB/TA and the same relationship for gears B and C?

I'm going to throw that one right back to you and say, "why would that be true?" Show me how you got it. Start out by writing the sum of the torques on each gear, and work through the math.

1. How does a gear train system work?

A gear train system is a set of gears connected together to transmit power or motion from one part of a machine to another. It works by using the teeth on the gears to mesh and rotate, transferring power and changing the speed or direction of rotation.

2. What are the main components of a gear train system?

The main components of a gear train system are the gears, which are circular discs with teeth around the edge, and the shafts, which are the axles on which the gears are mounted. Other components may include bearings, spacers, and housings.

3. What is the purpose of a gear train system?

The purpose of a gear train system is to transmit power and control the speed and direction of rotation in a mechanical system. This makes it possible to transfer power from a motor or engine to different parts of a machine and adjust the output to suit specific needs.

4. How do you calculate the gear ratio in a gear train system?

The gear ratio in a gear train system is calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the driven gear (the one that receives the power) by the number of teeth on the driving gear (the one that provides the power). For example, if the driven gear has 20 teeth and the driving gear has 10 teeth, the gear ratio would be 20/10 or 2:1.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a gear train system?

The advantages of using a gear train system include its ability to transmit power efficiently, its versatility in controlling speed and direction of rotation, and its compact design. However, the disadvantages include potential noise and vibration, the need for regular maintenance, and the risk of gear wear or failure over time.