Object and Friction on the object

• Thread starter dexter90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, Dexter90 asked if the coefficient for air resistance (\lambda) is proportional to the mass of the object, and found that it is not.
dexter90
Good Morning

I am new user on Forum and I'm sorry for all mistake. I am living in Poland and My English is on the low level.

My question concers friction on the objects. We have formula:

[tex]T=μ \cdot N[/tex], where

[tex]μ[/tex] - coefficient on fraction
[tex]N=m\cdot g[/tex]

and formula:

[tex]F=m\cdot a[/tex]

I think that:

[tex]F=T \Rightarrow m\cdot a=μ \cdot m\cdot g[/tex]

This is true?? Coefficient [tex]m[/tex] is mass object?? If on the object interacts more physical force ( example Friction's ) = [tex]m \cdot a=m\cdot μ\cdot (N_{1}+N_{2}+...+N_{n})[/tex]??

I greet

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

good morning, dexter90! welcome to pf! :smile:

dexter90 said:
I think that: [itex]F=T \Rightarrow m\cdot a=μ \cdot m\cdot g[/itex]

This is true?? Coefficient [itex]m[/itex] is mass object?? If on the object interacts more physical force ( example Friction's ) = [itex]m \cdot a=m\cdot μ\cdot (N_{1}+N_{2}+...+N_{n})[/itex]??

(btw, we usually write "T" only for "tension" :wink:)

one object only has one normal force (N), and one friction force (µN) with a particular surface

for example, if a rope with tension T is pulling an object with mass m along a horizontal surface, then the F = ma equation is:

T - µmg = ma :wink:

(your equation ma = µmg is impossible … if the only force is friction, then the object won't move!)

Thanks you for quickly answer.

I understand, one object -> one force ( friction on the surface ). Friction is force which retard object. If on the object interacts more force's then coefficient retard is bigger, example: air resistance, then We have from formula:

[tex]m\cdot a=m\cdot g\cdot μ[/tex], next

[tex]a=g\cdot μ + \lambda[/tex], where:

[tex]\lambda[/tex] - coefficient air resistance in [N].

Yes?

I greet.

hi dexter90! :smile:
dexter90 said:
… If on the object interacts more force's then coefficient retard is bigger, example: air resistance, then We have from formula:

[tex]m\cdot a=m\cdot g\cdot μ[/tex], next

[tex]a=g\cdot μ + \lambda[/tex], where:

[tex]\lambda[/tex] - coefficient air resistance in [N].

Yes?

not exactly …

air resistance is not proportional to mass (it's proportional to cross-section area, and it also depends on speed, but not mass, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_equation),

so the equation will be something like -ma = µmg + kAv2,

or a = -(µg + kAv2/m) :wink:

:)

I have a question to this formula:

[tex]-ma...[/tex]

Not exist [tex]-[/tex] in [tex]ma=μmg[/tex]. Now, it is present because force air resistance is returned in the opposite direction??

I apologize for the grammar :)

Last edited:
both the friction and the air resistance are retarding forces (they both reduce the acceleration of a moving object)

so it should have been -ma = µmg

Ok.

I can add forces in the same way??

what do you mean? :confused:

Ok.

I understand all, thanks you.

I greet! :-)

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect the motion of an object?

Friction can both impede and facilitate the motion of an object. It can slow down the motion of an object by creating resistance, but it can also help an object maintain its position or change direction.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on an object?

The amount of friction on an object is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants to create a smooth surface between two objects, or by using materials with lower coefficients of friction.

5. How is friction important in everyday life?

Friction plays a crucial role in everyday life, from allowing us to walk and grip objects, to slowing down vehicles and preventing them from slipping on the road. It also helps in activities such as writing, playing sports, and using tools.