Can the Higgs Boson Help Solve the Mystery of Neutrino Mass?

In summary, the announcement suggests that the new particle is probably a higgs boson, but it's still not known for sure if it's massless or not. As far as neutrinos are concerned, it's possible that they might have some mass, but it's very small and won't have a big impact on the final estimate.
doriannny
In reading through all the info that is coming out from today's big announcement, it seems as they still can't peg the mass of the higgs boson as much of their data comes in the form of decay paths that include neutrinos of unknown mass. My question is whether when they peg the exact mass of the higgs, will they also be able to confer the elusive mass of the neutrino?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well both experiments pegged a probably mass of the new particle (remember we don't know it's a higgs yet) at about 125 GeV (I think ATLAS' best guess was a little bit higher at about 126 GeV. This is because the decay modes they were looking at did not involve neutrinos.

Even if they did (which some modes might- I don't know), if neutrinos have mass, it is a tiny, tiny amount of mass, enough that even with energy added for velocity I wouldn't expect them to affect the total estimate by much.

Vorde said:
Even if they did (which some modes might- I don't know), if neutrinos have mass, it is a tiny, tiny amount of mass, enough that even with energy added for velocity I wouldn't expect them to affect the total estimate by much.

They surely do have mass, at least two of them. We actually can't say for sure if all three are massive or one is massless and the other two are massive, but that would be an odd state of affairs.

Nabeshin said:
They surely do have mass, at least two of them. We actually can't say for sure if all three are massive or one is massless and the other two are massive, but that would be an odd state of affairs.

Fair, but my point it still valid. Assuming the tau is the other you mention might not have mass. Is it simply the lack of experimental evidence that illuminates this possibility? Or something else?

Vorde said:
Fair, but my point it still valid. Assuming the tau is the other you mention might not have mass. Is it simply the lack of experimental evidence that illuminates this possibility? Or something else?

It's actually not known which of the three is doing what, there's no way to separate them in the measurements. What we measure is the mass difference between two adjacent states, [itex] \Delta m_{12}^2 [/itex] and [itex] \Delta m_{23}^2 [/itex], the mass difference squared between 1 and 2 and between 2 and 3. Both these quantities are nonzero, which means at least two of them must be massive. If you think about it a bit more, you realize that we actually don't know the ordering of the masses either, simply because this is the only measurement we have. Quite amazing really how little we know about these guys...

How do you measure the mass difference without knowing which is more massive?

The observation of the Higgs is mainly driven by the decay channels [itex]H \to \gamma \gamma[/itex] and [itex]H \to ZZ* \to 4 l[/itex] (4 leptons), both channels do not include neutrinos.

Vorde said:
Neutrinos in decays are very important, and they usually carry a significant fraction of the decay energy. In the decay of a W boson, this is several ten GeV.

In decay channels with neutrinos, it is harder to estimate the mass, but it is not impossible: The energy spectrum of the observable decay products depends on the Higgs mass. Using simulations with different Higgs masses, it is possible to get an estimate for the mass.

From the neutrinos' mass differences, the maximum neutrino mass is about 0.05 eV, unless the neutrinos' masses are very close to each other. That's far below the mass of the Higgs particle, so neutrino-mass effects will be insignificant.

1. What is the Higgs boson and why is it important in particle physics?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that was first theorized in the 1960s as a crucial component of the Standard Model of particle physics. It is responsible for giving mass to other particles, such as quarks and electrons, through the Higgs mechanism. Its discovery in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider confirmed the existence of this fundamental particle and provided a deeper understanding of the building blocks of the universe.

2. How does the Higgs boson give mass to particles?

The Higgs boson interacts with other particles through the Higgs field, which permeates all of space. When particles interact with this field, they gain mass. The more they interact, the more massive they become. This is similar to how a snowball gains mass as it rolls down a hill, picking up more and more snow along the way.

3. What is the relationship between the Higgs boson and the neutrino mass?

The Higgs boson does not directly give mass to neutrinos, as they are believed to be massless particles. However, it does play a role in the mechanism that gives mass to other particles, which indirectly affects the mass of neutrinos. Neutrinos are also unique in that they can change between different types, or flavors, and the Higgs field is thought to be involved in this process.

4. Why is the measurement of neutrino mass important in particle physics?

The measurement of neutrino mass is important because it can provide insights into some of the most pressing questions in physics, such as the nature of dark matter and the imbalance between matter and antimatter in the universe. It can also help refine our understanding of the Standard Model and potentially lead to new discoveries in particle physics.

5. How do scientists study the Higgs boson and neutrino mass?

Scientists study the Higgs boson and neutrino mass through a variety of experiments, including the Large Hadron Collider at CERN and various underground neutrino detectors. These experiments involve colliding particles at high energies and analyzing the resulting data to search for evidence of these particles and their properties. Theoretical models and simulations are also used to help understand and interpret the data from these experiments.