Perpendicular velocity of planets

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for precise velocities for a solar system emulation project and the use of Keplerian elements to calculate these velocities. The conversation also includes a helpful resource for determining the necessary numbers for modeling orbits correctly.
KasperHdL
Hi

I am making a solar system emulation. I need some fairly precise velocities for the planets as a start velocity of the planets and since i calculate the gravity i need it perpendicular in a known distance from the sun.

First of all.. is it correct that if i calculate gravity i would only need the 'start'-velocity(perpendicular) of the planet to be able to simulate a correct path around the sun?

i have searched the web and i don't know where to find them any help?

thanks in advance

Kasper

Astronomy news on Phys.org
this may help although its not exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/orbital.htm

Welcome to PF,

If you assume the orbits are circular, then you can figure out what the speed (which is constant) is just based on the radius.

Of course, the orbits aren't circular, they're elliptical. But given key numbers for each orbit, like the eccentricity and semi-major axis, you can determine what the speed is at any point in the orbit. These numbers are what you need to model things correctly.

Thanks for your help :)

i was missing the keyword semi-major axis ;)

You need to find all the Keplerian elements to find perpendicular velocity:

a - Semimajor
e - Eccentricity
i - Inclination
LAN - Longitude of the Ascending Node
LP - Longitude of the Perihelion
ML - Mean Longitude
The Anomalies - Mean, Eccentric and True

You need all of these just to calculate the Radii.

1. What is the definition of perpendicular velocity of planets?

The perpendicular velocity of a planet refers to the component of its velocity that is perpendicular to its orbit around the sun. This velocity is measured at a right angle to the tangent of the planet's orbit at any given point.

2. How is perpendicular velocity calculated?

Perpendicular velocity can be calculated using the formula v⊥ = v * sin(θ), where v is the planet's orbital velocity and θ is the angle between the planet's velocity vector and the tangent of its orbit at a given point.

3. What factors can affect the perpendicular velocity of a planet?

The perpendicular velocity of a planet can be affected by the planet's mass, distance from the sun, and any gravitational forces from other celestial bodies. Changes in the planet's orbit or rotation can also impact its perpendicular velocity.

4. How does perpendicular velocity relate to angular momentum?

Perpendicular velocity is a crucial component in determining the angular momentum of a planet. The greater the perpendicular velocity, the greater the planet's angular momentum, which is a measure of its rotational motion around the sun.

5. Why is the perpendicular velocity of planets important to study?

Understanding the perpendicular velocity of planets is essential in predicting their orbital paths and behavior. It is also crucial in determining the stability of a planet's orbit and its interactions with other celestial bodies in the solar system.