How Does Quantum Tunneling Affect Particle Transmission?

In summary, the problem with tunelling is that the potential energy decreases linearly with distance. If a particle is coming from the left, it has three possible solutions: an initial solution, a solution where it reflects off the right wall, and a final solution where it is transmitted through the wall. I found that the transmission coefficient is given by: T = \frac{-i\mathcal L E^2 - i\mathcal L E^2}{-i \mathcal L A^2 - i \mathcal L A^2}.
71GA
Lets say we have a tunelling problem in the picture, where ##W_p## is a finite potential step:

aFgQ4.png

If particle is comming from the left a general solutions to the Schrödinger equations for sepparate intervals I, II and II are:

\begin{align}
\text{I:}& & \psi_1 &= \overbrace{A e^{i\mathcal L x}}^{\psi_{in}} + \overbrace{Be^{-i \mathcal L x}}^{\psi_{re}}& \mathcal L &= \sqrt{\tfrac{2mW}{\hbar^2}}\\
\text{II:}& & \psi_2 &= C e^{\mathcal K x} + De^{-\mathcal K x}& \mathcal K &= \sqrt{-\tfrac{2m(W-W_p)}{\hbar^2}}\\
\text{III:}& & \psi_3 &= \underbrace{E e^{i \mathcal L x}}_{\psi_{tr}}& &\\
\end{align}

Where ##\psi_{in}## is an incomming wave, ##\psi_{re}## is a reflected wave and ##\psi_{tr}## is transmitted wave. I used the boundary conditions and got a system of 4 equations:

\begin{align}
{\tiny\text{boundary}}&{\tiny\text{conditions at x=0:}} & {\tiny\text{boundary conditions}}&{\tiny\text{at x=d:}}\\
A + B &= C + D & Ce^{\mathcal K d} + De^{-\mathcal K d} &= E e^{i \mathcal L d}\\
i \mathcal L A - i \mathcal L B &= \mathcal KC - \mathcal K D & \mathcal K C e^{\mathcal K d} - \mathcal K D e^{-\mathcal K d}&= i \mathcal L E e^{i \mathcal L d}
\end{align}

So now i decided to calculate coefficient of transmission ##T##:

\begin{align}
T &= \dfrac{|j_{tr}|}{|j_{in}|} \!=\! \Bigg|\dfrac{\dfrac{\hbar }{2mi}\! \left( \dfrac{d\overline{\psi}_{tr}}{dx}\, \psi_{tr} - \dfrac{d \psi_{tr}}{dx}\, \overline{\psi}_{tr} \right)}{\dfrac{\hbar}{2mi} \!\left( \dfrac{d\overline{\psi}_{in}}{dx}\, \psi_{in} - \dfrac{d\psi_{in}}{dx}\, \overline{\psi}_{in} \right) }\Bigg| \!=\! \Bigg|\dfrac{\frac{d}{dx}\big(\overbrace{Ee^{-i\mathcal L x}}^{\text{konjug.}}\big) Ee^{i\mathcal L x} - \frac{d}{dx} \left( Ee^{i\mathcal L x}\right)\! \overbrace{Ee^{-i\mathcal L x}}^{\text{konjug.}}}{ \frac{d}{dx}\big(\underbrace{Ae^{-i\mathcal L x}}_{\text{konjug.}}\big) Ae^{i\mathcal L x} - \frac{d}{dx} \left( Ae^{i\mathcal L x}\right)\! \underbrace{Ae^{-i\mathcal L x}}_{\text{konjug.}}}\Bigg|\! = \nonumber\\
&=\Bigg|\dfrac{-i\mathcal L Ee^{-i\mathcal L x} E e^{i \mathcal L x} - i\mathcal L E e^{i \mathcal L x} Ee^{-i \mathcal L x}}{-i \mathcal L A e^{-i\mathcal L x} Ae^{i \mathcal L x} - i \mathcal L A e^{i \mathcal L x}Ae^{-i \mathcal L x} }\Bigg|=\Bigg|\dfrac{-i\mathcal L E^2 - i\mathcal L E^2}{-i \mathcal L A^2 - i \mathcal L A^2}\Bigg|=\Bigg|\dfrac{-2 i \mathcal L E^2}{-2i\mathcal L A^2}\Bigg| = \frac{|E|^2}{|A|^2}
\end{align}

It accured to me that if out of 4 system equations i can get amplitude ratio ##E/A##, i can calculate ##T## quite easy. Could anyone show me how do i get this ratio?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
71GA said:
\begin{align}
{\tiny\text{boundary}}&{\tiny\text{conditions at x=0:}} & {\tiny\text{boundary conditions}}&{\tiny\text{at x=d:}}\\
A + B &= C + D & Ce^{\mathcal K d} + De^{-\mathcal K d} &= E e^{i \mathcal L d}\\
i \mathcal L A - i \mathcal L B &= \mathcal KC - \mathcal K D & \mathcal K C e^{\mathcal K d} - \mathcal K D e^{-\mathcal K d}&= i \mathcal L E e^{i \mathcal L d}
\end{align}

In the four equations above, you have five coefficients A, B, C, D, E. Imagine that A (the amplitude of the wave incoming from the left) is "given." Then you have four "unknowns" B, C, D, E. Solve for E. It will look like E = [something]·A.

There are obviously many routes to solving four equations in four unknowns, algebraically.

I know that i can for start write system in a matrix form. But how can i now get the ratio ##E/A## that i need?

\begin{align}
\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\ i \mathcal L & \mathcal K & -\mathcal K & 0 \\ 0 & e^{\mathcal Kd} & e^{-\mathcal Kd} & -e^{i\mathcal Ld} \\ 0 & \mathcal Ke^{\mathcal Kd} & -\mathcal Ke^{-\mathcal Kd} & -i\mathcal Le^{i\mathcal Ld}
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
B \\ C \\ D \\ E
\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
A \\ i\mathcal LA \\ 0 \\ 0
\end{pmatrix}
\end{align}

1. What is tunnelling and transmission?

Tunnelling and transmission refer to the process of particles or waves passing through a potential barrier, such as an insulator or thin barrier, that they normally would not be able to pass through. This phenomenon is explained by the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. How does tunnelling and transmission occur?

Tunnelling and transmission occur when a particle or wave encounters a potential barrier that is lower than its energy level. This allows the particle or wave to pass through the barrier, even though it does not have enough energy to overcome it.

3. What is the significance of tunnelling and transmission in science?

Tunnelling and transmission have significant applications in various fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and solid-state physics. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices, such as transistors and diodes.

4. Can tunnelling and transmission be observed in everyday life?

Tunnelling and transmission are not observable in our everyday lives because they occur at a microscopic level. However, they have a significant impact on the functioning of electronic devices that we use in our daily lives.

5. Are there any risks associated with tunnelling and transmission?

There are no known risks associated with tunnelling and transmission. However, the understanding and control of this phenomenon are crucial for the development of technologies and materials in various fields of science.