Find Curl of B: Electric & Mag Fields in Plane Wave

• Thread starter adichy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl
In summary: Sorry, I'm not sure what you're trying to ask. Can you please clarify?In summary, the electric and magnetic fields in a plane wave propagating in free-space in the z-direction can be represented by (in complex-exponential notation)E(x, y, z, t) = E_0 e^i(kz−wt+d ) and B(x, y, z, t) = B_0e^i(kz−wt+d )
adichy

Homework Statement

The electric and magnetic fields in a plane wave propagating in free-space in the z-direction can we represented by (in complex-exponential notation)

E(x, y, z, t) = E_0 e^i(kz−wt+d ) and B(x, y, z, t) = B_0e^i(kz−wt+d )

Starting with the Ampère-Maxwell law, ∇ x B =μ_0 ε_0 dE/dt , show that E_0 = −c(z×B0).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm only having problems when I do curl B (differentiating E is no problem). I'm using the matrix method, but by just looking, it seems like it should be zero since B is in the z direction and there's no field in the x or y direction i.e

x_______y________z

d/dx___d/dy_____d/dz

0_______0____B_0e^i(kz−wt+d )

I should be getting something like ike^(...), but I'm not. Any insight would be helpful

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
While B is in the z direction only, the curl B will have components in the x and y directions and not the z direction. So you should review the curl definition again and see where you went astray.

The wave is propagating in the z-direction. The magnetic field doesn't point in the z-direction.

Sorry, what I meant was from doing the calculation, I found the answer to be zero. That's what I found confusing. It shouldn't be zero.

Am I assuming wrong that d/dx and d/dy of B will come out as 0 since it's differentiating constants as there are no x or y variables in the field?

Basically, this is what I got from doing curl B:

x_hat[d/dy e^(...) - d/dz (0)] -y_hat[d/dx e^(...) - d/dz(0)] + z_hat[0-0]

vela said:
The wave is propagating in the z-direction. The magnetic field doesn't point in the z-direction.

Ahh, of course, they're supposed to be orthogonal. I was under the impression that the magnetic field was in the z direction.

1. What is the mathematical definition of curl?

The curl of a vector field is a measure of the rotation of the field at a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ x and is calculated by taking the cross product of the del operator (∇) with the vector field.

2. How is the curl of a vector field related to its divergence?

The curl and divergence of a vector field are related by the Stoke's theorem. This states that the line integral of the vector field around a closed curve is equal to the surface integral of the curl of the vector field over the surface enclosed by the curve.

3. How is the curl of an electric and magnetic field related to a plane wave?

In a plane wave, the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and also to the direction of propagation. The curl of both fields is zero, indicating that there is no rotation of the fields in a plane wave.

4. What is the physical significance of the curl of a vector field?

The curl of a vector field represents the amount of circulation or rotation of the field at a given point. It is a measure of the vorticity or swirling motion of the field. In physics, it is often used to describe the behavior of fluid flow and electromagnetic fields.

5. How is the curl of a vector field represented mathematically?

The curl of a vector field is represented by the vector operator ∇ x, where ∇ is the del operator. In Cartesian coordinates, it can be written as (∂/∂x, ∂/∂y, ∂/∂z) x (Fx, Fy, Fz), where Fx, Fy, and Fz are the components of the vector field.