Time dependent wave equation trouble

In summary, to find the possible energy levels and their associated probabilities for a given wave function in a 1D infinite potential well, you need to solve the eigenvalue equation for the Hamiltonian operator and use the eigenfunctions to expand the given wave function. The probabilities of measuring each energy level are then given by the coefficients of the expansion.
Physser
Time dependent wave equation trouble!

Homework Statement

I'm having heaps of trouble getting my head around the time dependent wave function and the use of operators to find measurement/probabilities etc...

I'm having trouble with something like the following,

If have a 1D inf potential well with region -a <=x <= a , and at a certain time have the following wave function,

ψ= √(5a) cos (∏x/2a) + 2.√(5a) sin (∏x/a)

and you were asked to find the possible energy levels and their associated probabilities?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I know, can find energy levels by Hun=En.un
using u1= √(5a) cos (∏x/2a)
and u2 = 2.√(5a) sin (∏x/a)
to find the two distinct energy levels,

basically my question is, is this the correct way to do this? and perhaps I'm asking why? and then what has me really confused is finding their associated probabilities... I feel it's supposed to be obvious/ easy but i really lack some understanding here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your wavefunction there is in a linear superposition of two energy eigenstates.
Your task is to ascertain "how much" of each energy eigenstate it contains, and then use Born's probability interpretation to obtain the corresponding probabilities.

Physser said:

Homework Statement

I'm having heaps of trouble getting my head around the time dependent wave function and the use of operators to find measurement/probabilities etc...

I'm having trouble with something like the following,

If have a 1D inf potential well with region -a <=x <= a , and at a certain time have the following wave function,

ψ= √(5a) cos (∏x/2a) + 2.√(5a) sin (∏x/a)

and you were asked to find the possible energy levels and their associated probabilities?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I know, can find energy levels by Hun=En.un
using u1= √(5a) cos (∏x/2a)
and u2 = 2.√(5a) sin (∏x/a)
to find the two distinct energy levels,

basically my question is, is this the correct way to do this? and perhaps I'm asking why?
Sort of, but not really.

A measurement of some physical quantity corresponds to an operator, and the possible outcomes of the measurement are the eigenvalues of the operator. In the case of energy, the operator is the Hamiltonian, so you want to solve the eigenvalue equation ##\hat{H}\phi = E\phi## to find the eigenfunctions and the eigenvalues.

When you do this for the infinite square well, you find a set of normalized eigenfunctions ##\phi_n(x)## and their corresponding energy ##E_n##. This problem is probably done somewhere in your textbook or was covered in your lecture, so you should already have expressions for the normalized eigenfunctions and their energies.

If you're given a system in state ##\psi(x)##, you can expand this state in terms of the normalized eigenfunctions:
$$\psi(x) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty c_n\phi_n(x).$$ The probability of measuring ##E_k## turns out to be given by ##|c_k|^2##. So what you want to do is first look up or calculate what the normalized eigenfunctions are, and then write the state you were given in terms of these eigenfunctions.

What you did was verify that ##u_1## and ##u_2## are proportional to the normalized eigenstates ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2## and thus found the corresponding energies. The constants in front of the sine and cosine, however, are a combination of the normalization constant and ##c_n##. You need to figure out how to separate the two factors.

1. What is the time dependent wave equation?

The time dependent wave equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves over time. It is a fundamental equation in physics and is used to model a wide range of wave phenomena, such as sound waves, light waves, and electromagnetic waves.

2. What are the key components of the time dependent wave equation?

The time dependent wave equation has two main components: the wave function, which describes the amplitude and location of the wave, and the wave equation, which describes how the wave changes over time. It also includes variables such as time, space, and wavelength.

3. What types of problems can the time dependent wave equation solve?

The time dependent wave equation can be used to solve a variety of problems, including predicting the behavior of waves in different mediums, studying the interference and diffraction of waves, and understanding the properties of standing waves.

4. What difficulties can arise when dealing with the time dependent wave equation?

One of the main difficulties with the time dependent wave equation is that it is a complex partial differential equation that can be difficult to solve analytically. Additionally, the wave equation is highly sensitive to initial conditions and can produce unpredictable behavior if these conditions are not precisely known.

5. How is the time dependent wave equation used in real-world applications?

The time dependent wave equation has a wide range of practical applications, such as in the study of earthquake waves, radio waves, and seismic waves. It is also used in fields such as acoustics, optics, and medical imaging to understand and manipulate wave behavior for various purposes.