Does Magnetic Field Affect Positronium States? Exploring the Fine Structure

• Thread starter "pi"mp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, the conversation is discussing the effect of a magnetic field on the singlet and triplet states of positronium. The interaction is written using the charge and magnetic moment of the positron and electron, and the singlet and triplet states are considered in the basis of |s_{1}=s_{2}=\frac{1}{2} s_{1z}\, \, s_{2z} \rangle. However, initial calculations show that the energy levels are not split, and the question arises if second order perturbation theory is needed. The focus is solely on spin, disregarding any orbital angular momentum.
"pi"mp
Hi all,
I'm trying to compute the effect that a magnetic field has on the singlet and triplet states of positronium. I know that the positron has a charge and magnetic moment opposite that of the electron, so I'm tempted to write the interaction as:

[tex] \vec{B} \cdot (\vec{M}_{1}+\vec{M}_{2})= \mu B(S_{1z}-S_{2z}) [/tex]

where the minus sign comes about thanks to what I mentioned above. However, when I write out the singlet and doublet states in the [itex] |s_{1}=s_{2}=\frac{1}{2} s_{1z}\, \, s_{2z} \rangle [/itex] basis, I get that the above interaction does not split the energy levels...at least to first order.

Did I do something wrong? If not, do I need to try 2nd order perturbation theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the spin the only thing that matters?

Yes. We are neglecting any possible orbital angular momentum.

1. What is Positronium?

Positronium is a bound state of an electron and a positron, the antimatter counterpart of the electron.

2. What is the Fine Structure of Positronium?

The Fine Structure of Positronium refers to the energy levels and spectral lines of the particle, which are affected by the electromagnetic interaction between the electron and positron.

3. How is Positronium formed?

Positronium can be formed through the collision of a positron and an electron, or through the decay of unstable particles such as muons or neutral pions.

4. What is the significance of studying the Fine Structure of Positronium?

Studying the Fine Structure of Positronium can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.

5. How is the Fine Structure of Positronium measured?

The Fine Structure of Positronium can be measured through various spectroscopic techniques, such as measuring the energy levels and spectral lines using high-precision instruments.