Need Help Deciding What to Do in Terms of Applying to Colleges

• Admissions
  • Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether to apply early decision to NYU for an undergraduate degree in applied mathematics with a focus on quantitative finance. The advice given is to choose a college based on its strength in the chosen major and to also consider long-term career goals. It is suggested to seek opinions and feedback from others, particularly on forums dedicated to quantitative finance.
courtrigrad
Hello

I am interested in majoring in applied mathematics with a focus on quantitative finance. I am debating as to whether I should apply early decision to NYU. Does NYU have a reputable undergraduate mathematics program? What are your opinions of its faculty and mathematical programs?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Choose your college based on your major and then based on other things. There's no reason to go to NYU (or any college for that matter) and major in something they aren't good at. I'm not bashing any college nor do I know anything about NYU, just pick a college that fits with what you want to learn.

anyone else have any opinions about applying to NYU Early Decision to the Applied Math Department?

Thanks

any ideas or feedback?

If your ultimate goal is to get a job in finance after you get out of undergrad, NYU seems like a pretty decent choice. You haven't really mentioned what your alternatives or long-term goals are.

You might also want to ask your question over at the Wilmott forums (the career one specifically), because they are QF-oriented over there.

1. What factors should I consider when deciding which colleges to apply to?

When it comes to deciding which colleges to apply to, there are a few key factors to consider. These include the location of the college, the size of the student body, the academic programs and majors offered, the cost of tuition and living expenses, and the overall reputation and ranking of the school. It's also important to think about your personal preferences and goals, such as the type of campus environment you prefer and whether or not the school has strong internship and job placement opportunities.

2. How many colleges should I apply to?

The number of colleges you should apply to depends on your individual circumstances and preferences. Generally, it's recommended to apply to at least 3-5 colleges to give yourself a good range of options. However, some students may choose to apply to more schools, especially if they have specific criteria or are interested in highly competitive universities.

3. Should I only apply to highly ranked colleges?

No, you should not limit yourself to only applying to highly ranked colleges. While these schools may have a good reputation and strong academic programs, there are many other factors to consider when choosing a college. It's important to find a school that is the right fit for you, both academically and personally.

4. How important are extracurricular activities and community service in the college application process?

Extracurricular activities and community service can be important components of a college application, as they demonstrate your involvement and dedication outside of academics. However, they should not be the sole focus of your application. Admissions committees also consider your academic performance, essays, and letters of recommendation.

5. When is the best time to start preparing for college applications?

It's never too early to start preparing for college applications. It's recommended to start researching potential colleges and their application requirements during your junior year of high school. This will give you enough time to prepare for standardized tests, gather letters of recommendation, and work on your application essays. However, if you are a senior and have not started the process yet, don't panic - there is still time to put together a strong application.