Two Calculus Problem Solving Questions.

In summary: Since xQ3 = 3xP2xQ - 2xP3, we can substitute 3xP2 for xQ2, giving us xQ3 = 9xP4 - 2xP3. Solving for xQ, we get xQ = 2xP or xQ = xP/3. This means that the slope of the tangent at Q is either 12xP or 3xP/2. Since we know that the slope at Q is 4 times the slope at P, we can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for xP.12xP = 4(3xP/2)12xP = 6
danizh
#1: The tangent at a point P on the curve y = x^3 intersects the curve again at a point Q. Show that the slope of the tangent at Q is four times the slope of the tangent at P.

So far, I found the derivative of y = x^3, which is y' = 3x^2. Now I set these two equal to each other:

X^3 = 3x^2
x^3 - 3x^2 = 0
x^2 (x-3) = 0
so x = 0 or x = 3.

I don't know where to go from here, or if I did this right at all.

#2: Show that the x- and y- intercepts for any tangent to the curve y = 16 - 8sqrt(x) + x have a sum of 16.

First I expanded the equation:

y = 16 - 8sqrt(x) + x
= 16 - 8^(1/2) + x

Then I determined the derivative:

y' = -4x^(-1/2) + 1
= -4/sqrt(x) + 1

Once again, I have no idea what do from here. :(
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
For #1, assume that it's true. That slope at Q is 4 times slope at P.

P(xp, yp)
Q(xp, yp)

mp = 3x²p
mq = 3x²q

and

mq = 4*mp

hence

q = 4x²p

Now write the slope of the line PQ in terms of the coords of P and Q. If you can show that this slope is the same as the slope of the tangent at P, then you will have proved your point. Q.E.D.

For #2,

Let P(xp, yp) be a point on the curve.

Get the slope of the tangent at P.

Get the eqn of the tangent at P, in terms of the coords at P.

To get the y-intercept, yi, set x = 0, in the eqn of the tangent, and solve for yi.

To get the x-intercept, xi, set y = 0, in the eqn of the tangent, and solve for xi.

Now add xi and yi and manipulate the resulting expression until it becomes 16.

danizh said:
Now I set these two equal to each other:
X^3 = 3x^2
x^3 - 3x^2 = 0
x^2 (x-3) = 0
so x = 0 or x = 3.
I don't know where to go from here, or if I did this right at all.
Why are you setting the two equal each other?
That's not correct.
The tangent line at P will be:
g(x) = f'(xP)(x - xP) + yP
Now you have f(x) = x3
To find point Q, xQ is the solution to the equation:
xQ3 = f'(xP)(xQ - xP) + yP = (3xP2) (xQ - xP) + xP3 = 3xP2xQ - 3xP3 + xP3 = 3xP2xQ - 2xP3.
<=> xQ3 - 3xP2xQ + 2xP3 = 0
Now you have to relate xQ and xP.
Can you go from here?
Note that the slope of the tangent at P is 3xP2, and the slope of the tangent at Q is 3xQ2.

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and motion. It involves the concepts of derivatives and integrals, which are used to solve problems related to rates of change and accumulation.

What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function, while integration is the process of finding the accumulation of a function over a given interval. In simpler terms, differentiation deals with the slope of a curve, while integration deals with the area under a curve.

How do I solve a calculus problem?

To solve a calculus problem, you need to understand the basic concepts of derivatives and integrals. Then, you need to apply appropriate derivative or integral rules to the given function and simplify the expression using algebraic techniques. Finally, you need to check your answer for accuracy.

What are some real-life applications of calculus?

Calculus has many real-life applications, such as predicting the motion of objects, calculating the growth and decay of populations, designing bridges and buildings, and optimizing business and financial strategies. It is also used in fields like physics, engineering, economics, and medicine.

How can I improve my calculus problem-solving skills?

To improve your calculus problem-solving skills, it is important to practice regularly and work on a variety of problems. Additionally, you can seek help from a tutor or join a study group to better understand the concepts and techniques used in calculus. It is also helpful to review and understand any mistakes made while solving problems.