How Does a Particle Maintain Constant Velocity in a Pure Magnetic Field?

In summary, the particle travels with a constant velocity in a purely magnetic field. The equations of motion are solved in the drift frame, and the result is that E'=(E+UxB).
KleZMeR

Homework Statement

In a purley magnetic field B, motion of particle in x-y plane is circle; use this property, with result from part c to show on average the particle travels with constant velocity U:
(answer given): U=(1/B^2)*B*(B*Vo)+Vdrift
where Vdrift=(1/B^2)(ExB)

Homework Equations

"x" implies cross product
E=0i+Ej+0k
B=0i+0j+Bk
F=q(E+VxB)
results from Part c) showed by Galilei transform:
E'=(E+UxB)
V'=(V-U)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well right now I'm solving for U. I also have the answer so I've plugged in vdrift and try to work that out, usually "show" means working backwards in this course. I am not sure if I should use trig functions for the circle, I mean, it says to use that property of pure magnetic field, I know at one point i have to incorporate the trig rotation because in part f it says my x(t) and y(t) are sin and cos functions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok

well I'm a little farther, the equations of circular motion are what I'm having a little problem with, do they depend on the lorenz force? or is it just:
Wc= Omega Cyclotron
Components:
V'x=WcVy
V'y=-WcVx

With these I can de-couple the equation, but with the equation of motion dependent on the lorenz force i get V'y=(q/m)(E-BVx) and i do not know if i can decouple these because it is two terms...

i think obvious solution to use is u=v-v' so I'm looking for these two i guess? but it says to use result from part c) that E'=(E+UxB) , but i got this from the u=v-v' relationship so i think this is "'the result" i should be using??

ok so pure magnetic field means no E? there is E in Vdrift so i wonder if E stays in equation of motion

ok, well i found in this forum somewhere that E'(y)=V*B'(z), is that right?

I don't know why the given answer has a drift speed coming from an E-field, when the problem states that there is no E-field. Also, what is the "result from part c"?

A particle traveling along a circle clearly can not have a constant velocity. The simplest way to show that it has a constant speed is to show that the net force on the particle is normal to its velocity, and this is trivially true for this problem.

ok

ok, I did state what the result from part c) is in the problem: results from Part c), I showed by Galilei transform:
E'=(E+UxB)
V'=(V-U)

right now I am working in the drift frame, so maybe that's why the extra term is there, but I emailed my professor and asked him the same question Gokul43201 asked (why is there an E in purely magnetic field and where does Vdrift come from), have no response

I thought "on average" might imply some sort of average value function that should be applied? that's what the answer looks like now that i think about it. an integral of (1/B) might return a (1/B^2) function,

the next two steps are integrating equations of motion in lab frame (no drift) and finding V(t), r(t), but these two X(t) and Y(t) also incorporate a Vdrift as coefficient before the trig functions, this Vdrift takes the place of Vo, but Vo is said to be zero in lab frame? this is kindove off topic, but gives some insight into the two different situations.

ok, so i use rule A(dot)B = |A||B| cos(theta) and show theta at 90 always?

1. What is a "Particle in Magnetic Field"?

A "Particle in Magnetic Field" refers to the behavior and movement of a charged particle (such as an electron) when it is placed in a magnetic field. The presence of the magnetic field causes the particle to experience a force, which can result in its trajectory being altered.

2. How does a magnetic field affect a charged particle?

A magnetic field exerts a force on a charged particle, causing it to move in a circular or helical path depending on the orientation of the field and the particle's initial velocity. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is given by the equation F = qvB, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength.

3. What is the significance of a "Particle in Magnetic Field" in physics?

Studying the behavior of a particle in a magnetic field is important in many areas of physics, including electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and astrophysics. It allows us to understand the interaction between charged particles and magnetic fields, which is crucial in many natural and man-made phenomena.

4. How is the trajectory of a "Particle in Magnetic Field" affected by the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the radius of the particle's circular or helical path. As the magnetic field becomes stronger, the radius of the path decreases, resulting in a tighter and more compact trajectory. Conversely, a weaker magnetic field will result in a larger radius and a more spread-out trajectory.

5. Can a "Particle in Magnetic Field" ever escape from the magnetic field?

No, a charged particle cannot escape from a magnetic field. The magnetic force will always act on the particle and keep it within the boundaries of the field. However, if the particle's speed is high enough, it may be able to overcome the force and break out of its circular or helical path.