Graphing Calculator: - TI84 vs Casio CFX9850GC+

In summary: TI-92_series_upgrades .In summary, the TI-84 is a more powerful calculator, but the Casio CFX9850GC+ has a color screen which some people may find more fun.
barnaby
I'm about to buy a graphing calculator, and I don't know whether to get the Texas Instruments TI-84 (Silver Edition), or the Casio CFX9850GC+ (which has the added frivolity of a colour screen).

I can't get the TI-89, because it has algebra software built in, and so I'm not allowed to use it in an exam...

Your opinions, please?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You are right about the TI-89, it actually has a software built-in. You might opt for TI-84.
Also, there might be another constraint as the main purpose for your consideration, eg you might think what after the buy, it costs pretty high, if you can find some relatives to help you the cost then it'll be fine also for you, won't it ? I think its fine. But you need to clearify why your hesitation all up.

Last edited:
Well, both calculators are about the same price - the cost isn't that much of an issue. I'm just unsure which one to get - which one's the most powerful, the easiest to learn to use, the most versatile...

I hear Ti's are easy to use. I versatility would more than likely go to the Ti because there are so many programs you can use for it.

barnaby said:
Well, both calculators are about the same price - the cost isn't that much of an issue. I'm just unsure which one to get - which one's the most powerful, the easiest to learn to use, the most versatile...
Sorry I didn't understand ,
easy to use due to familiarity
most calcaultor are made easy for students to use
if the calculators are for complex computation then choose the more functioality since the simple one would completely refuse under whatever circumstances
also it takes TOO long for you to just look and hesitate, if you are not decisive, then ask someone in your class who has more experience to pick one for you.

Jekertee had the best advice, ask someone in your class.

barnaby said:
I'm about to buy a graphing calculator, and I don't know whether to get the Texas Instruments TI-84 (Silver Edition), or the Casio CFX9850GC+ (which has the added frivolity of a colour screen).

I can't get the TI-89, because it has algebra software built in, and so I'm not allowed to use it in an exam...

Your opinions, please?

I personally like the TI-84, but mainly because I'm familiar with using it and not the Casio brands.

The color of the screen to me doesn't matter that much just so long as the calculator is robust and has full functionality.

I just read that about your not being able to have algebra software built in.

But for graphing capability I bought a TI-92 around 10 years ago. They made an upgrade: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-92_series

1. What are the main differences between the TI84 and Casio CFX9850GC+ graphing calculators?

The main differences between the TI84 and Casio CFX9850GC+ graphing calculators are their price, display, and functionality. The TI84 is typically more expensive and has a larger display with a higher resolution, while the Casio CFX9850GC+ has a smaller display and is more budget-friendly. In terms of functionality, the TI84 has more features and is generally considered more user-friendly.

2. Can both calculators graph multiple functions and equations at the same time?

Yes, both the TI84 and Casio CFX9850GC+ can graph multiple functions and equations at the same time. They both have the ability to plot up to 10 different functions on the same graph.

3. Which calculator has a better battery life?

The TI84 has a better battery life compared to the Casio CFX9850GC+. The TI84 uses four AAA batteries, while the Casio CFX9850GC+ uses four AA batteries. The AAA batteries typically have a longer lifespan than AA batteries.

4. Can these calculators perform complex calculations and solve equations?

Yes, both the TI84 and Casio CFX9850GC+ can perform complex calculations and solve equations. They have various built-in functions and features for solving equations, as well as the ability to input and manipulate complex numbers.

5. Is one calculator better for certain types of math or science courses?

It ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the course. However, the TI84 is more commonly used in high school and college courses, while the Casio CFX9850GC+ may be preferred in certain engineering and physics courses due to its advanced graphing capabilities.