Too Many Processes? Analyze & Understand Your Computer

• Thread starter oddparent1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of processes running on a computer and provides tips for managing them. It is suggested to check the directory where each item is being loaded from and to consult a process library for known processes. The mention of msconfig, a tool for managing processes, is also made. The high number of processes, specifically 66, is noted as being unusual and possibly due to excess bloatware.
Computer science news on Phys.org
I just skimmed the list, but most of those look legit... though they may not be.

Here's a library where you can search for known processes.
http://www.processlibrary.com/

The first thing i'd do is go to your start menu and select 'Run', then type in 'mconfig'. When it pops up click on the [Startup] tab and take a close look at the directory where each item is being loaded from. Most are fairly obvious. If you know beyond a shadow of doubt that it's a program you don't need, uncheck it. If you question it's need, post it on here and someone may know what it is.

mconfig? Which version of Windows? Is it standard, or something added? Just tried under XP and it didn't worked, but such a tool will come handy now and then.

How much RAM is in your system? 66 is quite a bit, at least for me.

Borek said:
mconfig? Which version of Windows? Is it standard, or something added? Just tried under XP and it didn't worked, but such a tool will come handy now and then.

Borek
--
http://www.chembuddy.com
http://www.ph-meter.info

Whups! I'm sorry, it's supposed to be 'msconfig'.

66 is insanely high. How long does your machine take to boot up & login?
XP will run on just 17, but I typically have 35 or so running.
Most of that is excess bloatware that is installed.

Attachments

• Essential-17 Programs to Run.JPG
    Essential-17 Programs to Run.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:

1. What are the signs of having too many processes on my computer?

Some signs of having too many processes on your computer include slow performance, frequent crashes or freezes, and high CPU or memory usage.

2. How do I check how many processes are running on my computer?

On Windows, you can press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and select "Task Manager" to see a list of running processes. On Mac, you can go to "Applications" > "Utilities" > "Activity Monitor" to see a similar list.

3. Is having too many processes harmful for my computer?

Having too many processes can slow down your computer and cause performance issues, but it is not typically harmful. However, some malicious processes can harm your computer, so it's important to regularly monitor and manage your processes.

4. How can I reduce the number of processes on my computer?

You can reduce the number of processes on your computer by closing unnecessary programs and background processes, uninstalling unused software, and removing malware or viruses that may be running in the background.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help me analyze and understand my computer's processes?

Yes, there are many tools and software available that can help you analyze and understand your computer's processes. Some popular options include Process Explorer, Process Monitor, and System Explorer. These tools can provide detailed information about each process and help you identify any problematic or unnecessary processes.