How Can I Simplify the Expression cos(2n*pi)?

• Thread starter sara_87
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the function cos(2n*pi) and its relationship to the cosine function. It is mentioned that cos(npi) = (-1)^n and that cosine is periodic with a period of 2pi. The conversation concludes that cos(2n*pi) must always equal 1 as long as n is an integer.
sara_87

Homework Statement

what is cos(2n*pi)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that cos(npi)=(-1)^n
so is cos(2n*pi)=2(-1)^n ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Make the substitution m=2n in cos(mπ)=(-1)^m

so you mean cos(2n^2)=(-1)^2n
??

No, I mean cos(2n pi)=(-1)^{2n}

Do you know what cos(0) is? Do you know that cosine is periodic with period 2 pi?

yep cos0=1
yep, cos is periodic with period 2pi

So cos(2n pi)= cos(0+ n(2pi))= ?

oh right,
so =(-1)^(n+1)
is that right?

sara_87 said:
oh right,
so =(-1)^(n+1)
is that right?
No. Look at posts 4 and 7.

HallsofIvy said:
Do you know what cos(0) is? Do you know that cosine is periodic with period 2 pi?

sara_87 said:
yep cos0=1
yep, cos is periodic with period 2pi

HallsofIvy said:
So cos(2n pi)= cos(0+ n(2pi))= ?

sara_87 said:
oh right,
so =(-1)^(n+1)
is that right?
Okay, what does "periodic" mean?

...I think it is necessary to know the graph of cos(x), which may help a lot. so, find one.

edit (:shy: trying not to be ambiguous)
...I think it is necessary for one to know the graph of cos(x), which may also help a lot. (regardless of this particular problem)...
"periodic" is really the key:approve:

Last edited:
It might help. It is not necessary. All that is necessary is to know what "periodic" means. No computation is required.

I understand that periodic means that cosine function repeats after multiples of 2 pi. but how would that have anything to do with writing cos(2n*pi) ?
cos (npi)=(-1)^n because as long as n is an integer, the value will alternate from -1 and 1 (clearly form the graph)

sara_87 said:
I understand that periodic means that cosine function repeats after multiples of 2 pi. but how would that have anything to do with writing cos(2n*pi) ?
Would it be easier if it were written n*(2pi) rather than 2n*pi? This is about multiples of 2pi!

cos(2pi)= cos(0+ 2pi)= cos(0)= 1

cos(4pi)= cos(2pi+ 2pi)= cos(2pi)= 1

cos(6pi)= cos(4pi+ 2pi)= cos(4pi)= 1

cos (npi)=(-1)^n because as long as n is an integer, the value will alternate from -1 and 1 (clearly form the graph)

oh right! so cos(n2pi) has to always be 1...i feel very stupid, i should have known that. for all n, cos(2npi) must be 1 as long as n is an integer.

thank you very much

1. What is the meaning of cos(2n*pi)?

Cos(2n*pi) refers to the cosine function with an argument of 2n times pi, where n is any integer. This expression represents the cosine of an angle that is a multiple of 360 degrees, which is equivalent to one full rotation on a unit circle.

2. How does cos(2n*pi) relate to the unit circle?

When graphed on a unit circle, the cosine function with an argument of 2n times pi will produce a wave-like pattern that repeats every 360 degrees or 2pi radians. This is because the cosine function represents the x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle, and as the angle increases by a multiple of 360 degrees, the x-coordinate will return to its original value.

3. What is the range of values for cos(2n*pi)?

The range of values for cos(2n*pi) is between -1 and 1. This is because the cosine function can never produce a value outside of this range, as it represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle.

4. How can cos(2n*pi) be used in real-world applications?

Cos(2n*pi) can be used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation. It can be used to calculate the amplitude of a wave, the position of an object in circular motion, or the phase difference between two waves.

5. Can cos(2n*pi) have a value of 0?

Yes, cos(2n*pi) can have a value of 0 when the argument is a multiple of 90 degrees or pi/2 radians. This occurs at angles of 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees, and so on, where the cosine function will output a value of 0. This can also be seen on the unit circle, where the x-coordinate of these angles is 0.