Is it Possible that 1 Equals -1: A Mathematical Inquiry?

• Thread starter olek1991
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of taking the square root of complex numbers and the difference between taking the square root of a real number and a complex number. The speaker also explains why the statement 1=-1 is not valid in mathematics and provides an example of why the root function is defined to only give positive values. The conversation ends with a clarification on the mistake made in the statement 2=\sqrt{4}=\sqrt{(-2)^2}=-2 and the correct solution, which is 2² = √4 = 2.
olek1991
I think that I have proof of 1 being -1 and I can't find any flaw in it.
Could you please take a look?

-1=i² =>
(-1)²=(i²)² =>
1 = i^4 => take the square root both sides
1 = i²

i² = -1 v i² = 1

Thus proving
1 = -1

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
To confuse you a little more can you find the mistake: [itex]2=\sqrt{4}=\sqrt{(-2)^2}=-2[/itex].

Yea I know those too xD
Does that mean that it is correct? (but just not used since it's crazy)

Edit: the √(-2)² is not -2, but 2 btw :P
You probably meant (-2)² = √4 = 2²

Last edited:
No I meant exactly what I wrote, the root cancelling the square. We can't do this because we have defined taking the square root of a real number to be a positive value. This is called the principal square root. For the complex numbers this principal root is defined as [itex]\sqrt{z}=\sqrt{|z|}e^{i \pi/2}[/itex]. In general for complex numbers it is not even true that [itex]\sqrt{zw}=\sqrt{z}\sqrt{w}[/itex].

[tex]a^{bc}=\left(a^b\right)^c[/tex] is not generally true. For example [tex]\left(\left(-1\right)^2\right)^{\frac 1 2}\neq-1[/tex]. You should be careful with this rule when the base is not a positive real number and the exponent is not an integer.

Cyosis said:
No I meant exactly what I wrote, the root cancelling the square. We can't do this because we have defined taking the square root of a real number to be a positive value. This is called the principal square root. For the complex numbers this principal root is defined as [itex]\sqrt{z}=\sqrt{|z|}e^{i \pi/2}[/itex]. In general for complex numbers it is not even true that [itex]\sqrt{zw}=\sqrt{z}\sqrt{w}[/itex].

I really don't get that o_O
Could you dumb it down a little? (I'm a collage student)

We can write every complex number z in the form [tex]z=|z|e^{i \theta}[/tex] with |z| the distance between z and the origin and [itex]\theta[/itex] the angle between the x-axis and |z| (polar coordinates). If you have had some complex numbers you should know this representation of a complex number. From this it follows that [itex]i=e^{i \pi/2}[/itex] and [itex]i^4=e^{2 \pi i}[/itex]. Now taking the square root of i^4 we get [tex]\sqrt{i^4}=e^{i \pi}=-1[/tex].

olek1991 said:
Yea I know those too xD
Does that mean that it is correct? (but just not used since it's crazy)

No that's not what it means, all of our mathematical foundations would be bogus if we ever said "it's true, but it's too crazy.. so it's pretty much false".
Sqrt(x) is a function (input/output relationships are unique), so given a number (perhaps 9), Sqrt(9) will map to 3.. never -3. If Sqrt(9) could be either -3 OR 3, it wouldn't be a function. Even though (-3)^2 = 9 = (3)^2, the root function is defined to take positive values and produce positive values.

This is exactly what you kind of said.. sqrt( (-2)^2 ) is indeed 2 since (-2)^2 gives us 4, and by the definition of the function, we will get the positive possible "root" only.

"You probably meant (-2)² = √4 = 2²" You probably made some typing mistake here.. (-2)^2 = sqrt(4) = 2^2?? 4 = 2 = 4? I don't know

1. What does "one equals minus one" mean?

"One equals minus one" is a mathematical statement that represents the concept of equality. It means that the value of one is equal to the negative value of one, or that one and minus one are equivalent or identical.

2. Is "one equals minus one" a true statement?

Yes, "one equals minus one" is a true statement in mathematics. It follows the basic principle of equality, which states that two quantities are equal if they have the same value.

3. How can "one equals minus one" be proven?

"One equals minus one" can be proven using algebraic manipulation. By subtracting one from both sides of the equation, we get 0 = -2. Then, by dividing both sides by -2, we get 0 = 1, which is a true statement. This shows that one and minus one are equivalent values.

4. What are the practical applications of "one equals minus one"?

The concept of "one equals minus one" is widely used in mathematics and physics. It helps in solving equations and understanding the properties of numbers. In physics, it is used to describe symmetries and conservation laws.

5. Can "one equals minus one" be applied in the real world?

While "one equals minus one" is a true statement in mathematics, it may not always have practical applications in the real world. In the physical world, one and minus one represent different quantities and cannot be equal. However, the concept is still important in understanding mathematical principles and solving problems.