Gearbox Design: Increasing Torque and Speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of designing a gearbox that can increase both torque and speed at its output. However, it is concluded that this is not possible due to a physical formula that dictates a tradeoff between power and torque. The only potential solution is a continually variable transmission (CVT), which allows for tuning the gear ratio for either peak efficiency or power output, but it may not be suitable for all applications.
cosmarchy
I suspect I already know the answer to this question but I want to ask in case anyone has any ideas on how to improve things.

What I am looking for is a gearbox design that will increase both torque and speed at its output. I don't think this is possible as I believe one is traded off against the other but as I said I could be wrong.

Is this possible? Are there any ways around this?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're correct, it can't be done because of this formula (well not because of the formula, but the formula results from the physical reality that prevents it):

Power = ( rpm x torque ) / constant

The constant will change depending on what units you select for power and torque.

So yes, that's the tradeoff you mentioned... The only thing that might come close depending on your application is possibly a continually variable transmission (CVT)? That would allow you to run your motor at a fixed RPM while changing the output speed. As it has an effectively infinite number of gear ratios you can tune your setup for either, say, peak efficiency for peak power output, etc.

Absolutely not going to fit all applications, however.

Ok thanks for confirming this :) that's what I thought.

I'll have a look at the CVT and see how this works and whether it'll fit in some where.

Thanks

Right...you trade off rpm for speed. One or the other, but not both.

No way around it without violating a very fundamental property of our universe.

1. How does a gearbox increase torque and speed?

A gearbox increases torque by using gears with different sizes to change the speed at which the power is transmitted from the input to the output. This allows for a smaller gear to rotate faster and produce more torque at the output.

2. What factors affect the torque and speed of a gearbox?

The number of gears, gear ratio, gear size, and material of the gears all affect the torque and speed of a gearbox. The type of lubricant and the efficiency of the gearbox also play a role.

3. What are the different types of gearboxes?

There are several types of gearboxes, including spur gearboxes, helical gearboxes, bevel gearboxes, worm gearboxes, and planetary gearboxes. Each type has its own advantages and applications.

4. How can I determine the appropriate gearbox for my application?

The appropriate gearbox for your application depends on the desired torque, speed, and power requirements. Consulting with a gearbox expert or using online calculators can help determine the best gearbox for your specific needs.

5. How can I maintain the efficiency of a gearbox?

To maintain the efficiency of a gearbox, regular lubrication and proper alignment of the gears is crucial. Monitoring for wear and tear, and replacing worn parts when necessary, can also help maintain efficiency. Regular maintenance and inspections are key to ensuring the longevity and efficiency of a gearbox.