Sounds like a retardedly basic PDE problem

• Thread starter dingop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation discusses a simple pde that needs to be solved in order to determine a straightforward expansion for a given overall equation. The method of associated equations is used and the answer of u=f(x-y) is obtained, but there is difficulty in satisfying the initial condition. The conversation concludes with discussing the need to choose an appropriate function f to make the equation work.
dingop

Homework Statement

This is a simple pde I need to solve in order to determine a straightforward expansion for a given overall equation.

Homework Equations

[tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]x+[tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]y=0
with initial condition:
u(x,0)=epsilon*phi(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the method of associated equations and got the answer of u=f(x-y); indeed u(x,y)=x-y does satisfy the equation. However, there is no way to input a constant and solve for the constant to satisfy the initial condition. Any help will be appreciated! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
dingop said:

Homework Statement

This is a simple pde I need to solve in order to determine a straightforward expansion for a given overall equation.

Homework Equations

[tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]x+[tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]y=0
with initial condition:
u(x,0)=epsilon*phi(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the method of associated equations and got the answer of u=f(x-y); indeed u(x,y)=x-y does satisfy the equation. However, there is no way to input a constant and solve for the constant to satisfy the initial condition. Any help will be appreciated! thanks!

Homework Statement

But you have u(x,y) = f(x-y) for any function f. You don't have to just take f(x-y) = x-y. So you have better than a constant of integration; you have an arbitrary function of integration to play with. Your condition becomes:

u(x,0) = f(x-0) = εφ(x)

so what does f need to be?

LCKurtz said:
But you have u(x,y) = f(x-y) for any function f. You don't have to just take f(x-y) = x-y. So you have better than a constant of integration; you have an arbitrary function of integration to play with. Your condition becomes:

u(x,0) = f(x-0) = εφ(x)

thanks for the reply.!

Right now, I actually don't know what f needs to be-
I just have the PDE equation and the initial condition to satisfy- and my previous sample problems involving associated equations had no initial conditions, so I am pretty much lost..

LCKurtz said:

u(x,0) = f(x-0) = εφ(x)

dingop said:
thanks for the reply.!

Right now, I actually don't know what f needs to be-
I just have the PDE equation and the initial condition to satisfy- and my previous sample problems involving associated equations had no initial conditions, so I am pretty much lost..

It isn't that hard. The answer to my question is in the line above it. You are given φ and you want to choose f to make that equation work. Then u = f(x-y) will be your solution.

1. What is a PDE problem?

A PDE (Partial Differential Equation) problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to an equation that includes partial derivatives. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to describe the behavior of systems that change over time and space.

2. What makes a PDE problem "retardedly basic"?

The term "retardedly basic" is often used to describe a problem that is very simple or straightforward. In the context of a PDE problem, this could mean that the equation is easily solvable or that it only involves a few variables and parameters.

3. Can you provide an example of a "retardedly basic" PDE problem?

One example of a "retardedly basic" PDE problem is the heat equation: ∂u/∂t = k∂²u/∂x². This equation describes how heat is transferred through a material over time, and it is relatively simple to solve compared to more complex PDE problems.

4. What are some common applications of PDE problems?

PDE problems are used in many areas of science and engineering, including mechanics, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They can be used to model and understand a wide range of phenomena, such as the flow of fluids, the behavior of electrical circuits, and the propagation of waves.

5. What techniques are commonly used to solve PDE problems?

There are several methods that can be used to solve PDE problems, including separation of variables, Fourier series, Laplace transform, and numerical methods. The specific technique used will depend on the type of PDE problem and the desired level of accuracy in the solution.