Interior angles of polygon on a sphere

In summary, the angle sum of a triangle on a sphere with curvature K = 1/R^2 is π + K.area. The smaller the area of the triangle, the closer the angle sum is to π. This formula can also be used to calculate the angle sum of a pentagon. By taking the vertices closer to the great circle bounding the hemisphere, the interior angles of a pentagon can be made closer to π. The sum of the interior angles of a pentagon on a sphere of radius one lies between 3π and 5π. The difference between the angle sum and 3π equals the area of the pentagon.
nitman
Hi can anyone help me out with finding the interior angles of a pentagon on a sphere. I know two of the interior angles already and I know all the angles that correspond with the arc lengths of the sides of the pentagon. How do I find the other three interior angles?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
this is really interesting. on a sphere of radius R, we call K = 1/R^2 the curvature. The triangles on a sphere look moire like Euclidean ones the smaller they are. I.e. if I recall correctly, the formula for angle sum of a triangle on a sphere of radius R, and curvature K = 1/R^2, is something like angle sum = π + K.area.

Thus the smaller the area of the triangle, in comparison to the radius squared, the closer is the angle sum of a triangle to π.

Of course if you know the a sum of a triangle you can also calculate that for a pentagon.

even if you require your polygons to lie in a given hemisphere, note that by taking the vertices closer and closer to being on the great circle bounding that hemisphere, you can make the interior angles of any polygon closer and closer to π (=180 degrees). Thus on a sphere of radius one, the sum of the interior angles of a pentagon lies between 3π and 5π, with the difference (angle sum - 3π) equaling the area of the pentagon.

1. What is a polygon on a sphere?

A polygon on a sphere is a closed shape made up of straight sides that are connected at vertices. The shape is formed by connecting points on the surface of a sphere.

2. How many interior angles does a polygon on a sphere have?

A polygon on a sphere will have the same number of interior angles as its corresponding flat polygon. For example, a triangle on a sphere will have three interior angles, just like a flat triangle.

3. Do the interior angles of a polygon on a sphere always add up to 360 degrees?

No, the interior angles of a polygon on a sphere do not always add up to 360 degrees. This only occurs for polygons on a sphere that can be flattened onto a plane without distortion, such as a regular hexagon.

4. How are the interior angles of a polygon on a sphere calculated?

The interior angles of a polygon on a sphere can be calculated using the formula (n-2)*180, where n is the number of sides or vertices of the polygon. This formula is based on the fact that the sum of the interior angles of a flat polygon is always equal to (n-2)*180 degrees.

5. Can a polygon on a sphere have both interior and exterior angles?

Yes, a polygon on a sphere can have both interior and exterior angles. This is because the shape is three-dimensional, and the angles are measured relative to the surface of the sphere. A flat polygon, on the other hand, cannot have exterior angles as it is confined to a two-dimensional plane.