Introductory Particle Physics

by welatiger
Tags: introductory, particle, physics
Share this thread:
welatiger
Mar15-12, 02:37 PM
P: 82
Hi all;
I will work master's degree in particle physics and I want an experimental textbook for particle physics, and i have two choices

is "Introduction to high energy physics" by Perkins

or "particle physics" by B.R. Martin & G. Shaw

Can you advise me
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
kloptok
Mar15-12, 02:55 PM
P: 188
I haven't used Perkins myself so I can't say anything about it, but Martin&Shaw I've used. It is quite nice and often comprehensive and contains most of what you need on an introductory level (basic QM is probably all you will need). It also has solutions to all problems which is nice if you use it for self study.

However, I would instead recommend Griffiths "Introduction to Elementary Particles". It is better than the other in my opinion, better explanations of the concepts in the comprehensive style of Griffiths. It is a bit more advanced than the previous two (don't know about Perkins as I said) since it also introduces a basic form of Quantum Field Theory to be able to calculate cross sections, but it covers the same concepts (at least as Martin&Shaw).
welatiger
Mar16-12, 12:26 AM
P: 82
thank you so much
i think that Martin's book advantage is it is up to date

physiker_192
Mar16-12, 03:28 PM
P: 246
Introductory Particle Physics

Avoid Perkins, its very annoying to learn from in my opinion.

You may want to have a look at:
http://www.amazon.com/Particles-Nucl...1929624&sr=1-1

Register to reply