V=L x di/dt rearrangements?

• Thread starter hobbs125
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the formula V=L x di/dt for calculating voltage across an inductor due to a collapsing magnetic field. It is suggested that the formula could also be rearranged to say V = i x dL/dt, where voltage is equal to current times the change in inductance. This is shown to be true and can be demonstrated with examples such as the explosively pumped flux compression generator. The conversation also explores potential applications of this concept, including a series circuit of two opposing coils and the potential for calculating voltage across a coil using the rearranged formula.
hobbs125
V=L x di/dt is a well known formula used to calculate the voltage across an inductor due to a collapsing magnetic field.

It seems to me that the formula could also be arranged to say:

V = i x dL/dt

Voltage is equal to current times the change in inductance...

If this formula is true would a decreasing (collapsing) inductance produce an opposite polarity across the coil than an increasing inductance?

if I wind two coils together and connect them in a series circuit so they oppose each other. When the pulse goes through the coils it would cause the inductance to change (drop to zero) and induce a voltage across the coil? Could the equation above then be used to calculate the voltage across the coil?

Are there any applications where this is used?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
hobbs125 said:
It seems to me that the formula could also be arranged to say:

V = i x dL/dt

Voltage is equal to current times the change in inductance...
[STRIKE]
This is absolutely not true.[/STRIKE]

EDIT: Clearly I misunderstood something!

Last edited:
Absolutely true.

Inductance is defined as flux(linkages) per ampere and the changing flux causes an EMF irrespective of whether it resulted from change in amps or change in inductance.

That's why a solenoid creates a dip in the current as its airgap closes.

jim is right. i haven't seen this done with inductors, but i have seen it done with capacitors (in a Wurlitzer electric piano). in both cases, it's a consequence of the product rule of derivatives:

[tex] i(t) = C(t)\frac{dv(t)}{dt} + v(t)\frac{dC(t)}{dt} [/tex]

i think the counterpart for coils is:

[tex] v(t) = L(t)\frac{di(t)}{dt} + i(t)\frac{dL(t)}{dt} [/tex]

The explosively pumped flux compression generator is an example of this.

Jim Handy,

That's exactly what I was thinking. And I don't see any reason why that rearrangement of the formula is wrong.

The_emi_guy,

Could this be done on a small scale using coils as I described above?

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of the V=L x di/dt rearrangement in electrical circuits?

The V=L x di/dt rearrangement is a fundamental equation in electrical engineering known as the inductance equation. It describes the relationship between the voltage (V) across an inductor, the inductance (L) of the inductor, and the rate of change of current (di/dt) through the inductor. This equation is used to calculate the behavior of inductors in electrical circuits and is essential for understanding the principles of electromagnetic induction.

2. How is the V=L x di/dt rearrangement derived?

The V=L x di/dt rearrangement is derived from Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, which states that a changing magnetic field induces an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor. By applying Faraday's law to a circuit containing an inductor, we can derive the V=L x di/dt equation, which describes the relationship between the induced EMF, the inductance of the inductor, and the rate of change of current through the inductor.

3. What are the practical applications of the V=L x di/dt rearrangement?

The V=L x di/dt rearrangement has many practical applications in electrical engineering. It is used to design and analyze circuits containing inductors, such as transformers, motors, and generators. It also plays a crucial role in the development of electronic devices, including power supplies, filters, and oscillators.

4. How does the V=L x di/dt rearrangement relate to other equations in electromagnetism?

The V=L x di/dt rearrangement is one of the four Maxwell's equations, which form the foundation of classical electromagnetism. It is closely related to the other equations, such as Gauss's law for electric fields, Gauss's law for magnetic fields, and Ampere's law, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. Together, these equations provide a complete description of the electromagnetic force.

5. Are there any limitations to the V=L x di/dt rearrangement?

While the V=L x di/dt rearrangement is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism, it does have limitations. It assumes that the inductor is an ideal component with no resistance, which is not always the case in real-world circuits. Additionally, it only applies to circuits with time-varying currents. In circuits with direct currents, the equation is not applicable, and other techniques, such as Kirchhoff's laws, must be used to analyze the circuit.