Struggling in Physics: Seeking Advice for Learning Abilities

• Thread starter Kippras
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a Physics major who is feeling depressed about their lack of learning at their university. They have received good grades, but feel like they don't deserve them and are worried about their ability to succeed in future courses and on the subject GRE. They are seeking advice on how to improve their understanding of the material and are considering reaching out to student counseling services for help. They also plan to meet with their teacher regularly to discuss areas of confusion.
Kippras
I need some advice. I'm currently rather depressed about my lot as a Physics major. Don't get me wrong - I'm happy to be in the field and there's nothing else I would rather do. However, my problem is: I don't feel as though I'm really learning anything at my university. I'm into my Junior year, but in all honesty, I don't feel as though I've really learned anything - just been given introductions to the concepts. In my first few semesters, I made B's and C's in my Physics courses, however this semester I made As in both classes I took (E&M I and Stat. Mech). Thing is: I don't feel as though I deserved those As. The Stat. Mech. class was the most confusing class I have ever taken in my life taught by a professor who is a really nice guy, but he doesn't teach the way I feel I learn best. I feel I learn best by understanding the concepts involved and then the math - he teaches just the opposite. He focuses on the math to teach concept - and I honestly don't think that way. Problem is he'll be teaching the remaining courses - Mechanics and QM (1 semester of each is all we get!) and I'm scared that the same thing will happen - I'll do the work, but not really feel as though I've learned anything at the end of those either. On top of that, I currently have 160 Physics problems I need to finish relatively soon (mid-January) and when I keep starting, I almost freak out or get really depressed about my ability because they're really hard and I have no clue on what to do! I honestly feel like a fraud at times - and I'm scared that I might be just that without trying. I'm also afraid to really tell anyone any of this because I'm afraid that they will think less of me because of it and that hurts more than anything. I want to do well, but I also want to learn the material. I'm in a study group (kinda) that gets together for all the major tests in our classes to discuss things, but I don't think it really helps me because I'm slow to learn this material and they're always ahead of me, plus I tend to procrastinate - something I'm going to rectify this next semester. I just don't know what to do. I don't have any graduate students to go to for help - and I really wish I did, but we don't have a Physics graduate program so there's no one here who can help me learn this stuff and I don't think I can do it on my own. On top of all that, I'm feeling the pressure of the subject GRE coming up in the next year (I"ll be taking in in December to coincide with Fall applications for grad school) and I'm scared that I will completely flunk it. Yes, it sounds as though I'm freaking out, and I kinda am, but I'm just really, really worried... Anyone have any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would check into student counsoling services at your school. In the meantime I would make a list of everything you don't understand and take it to your teacher like once a day (after googling the item for the day and making sure there's no way you can understand it further from your perspective). The idea is to open an intelligent dialog with the teacher, not ask him/her to spoon feed you. If you are unwilling to commit to signficant change I would question your willpower to really change the situation you're in. Sometimes the only way out is through.

First of all, I want to applaud you for reaching out and seeking advice. It takes a lot of courage to open up about your struggles and concerns, and it shows that you are determined to find a solution to your current situation.

As a fellow Physics major, I can understand the pressure and stress that comes with studying such a challenging subject. It is important to remember that it is completely normal to feel overwhelmed and struggle with certain concepts. It is also important to recognize that learning styles vary and what works for others may not necessarily work for you.

My first piece of advice would be to talk to your academic advisor or a trusted professor about your concerns. They can provide valuable insight and guidance on how to approach your courses and manage your workload. They may also be able to connect you with resources such as tutoring or study groups specifically for Physics students.

Additionally, don't be afraid to reach out to your classmates for help. You mentioned being in a study group, but feeling like you are falling behind. Have you tried talking to your group members individually or asking for extra help from your professor? Sometimes, one-on-one explanations can be more helpful than group discussions.

In terms of your upcoming GRE, try not to stress too much about it. Remember that it is just one aspect of your graduate school application and your grades and experiences will also be taken into consideration. Instead of worrying about the test, focus on understanding the material and mastering the concepts. This will not only benefit you in the long run but will also help you perform well on the GRE.

Lastly, don't be too hard on yourself. It is completely normal to feel like you are not learning or that you are not good enough. However, it is important to recognize your achievements and give yourself credit for the hard work you have put in. Take breaks when you need them and don't hesitate to seek help when you feel stuck.

Remember, you are not alone in this and there are resources and people available to support you. Keep pushing forward and don't give up on your passion for Physics. You have made it this far and that in itself is an accomplishment. Keep striving for success and keep learning, both in and out of the classroom. Best of luck to you.

What are learning abilities?

Learning abilities refer to the cognitive skills and processes that allow individuals to acquire, store, and apply knowledge. This includes skills such as memory, attention, problem-solving, and critical thinking.

Why is it important to understand learning abilities?

Understanding learning abilities is crucial because it helps us identify our strengths and weaknesses in the learning process. This knowledge can then be used to develop effective learning strategies and improve overall academic performance.

How can learning abilities be improved?

Learning abilities can be improved through various methods, such as practicing and reinforcing skills, using mnemonic devices and other memory techniques, setting specific goals, and seeking support from teachers or tutors.

Are learning abilities fixed or can they be changed?

While some learning abilities may have a genetic component, research has shown that they can also be improved and developed through deliberate practice and effective learning strategies. Therefore, learning abilities are not fixed and can be changed.

What is the role of advice in improving learning abilities?

Receiving advice from teachers, mentors, or peers can be helpful in identifying areas for improvement and learning new strategies to enhance learning abilities. Additionally, seeking advice can also provide motivation and support in the learning process.